Author Topic: Electric conversion?  (Read 1554 times)

Offline s3racing

• http://www.walti-sanitaer.ch
Electric conversion?
« on: January 04, 2014, 04:23:44 AM »
Does anyone here have any experience, suggestions etc with electric conversions in a t1
My idea was to use 2 warp9 motors in series. At 144v. ? Is should I go direct drive or with a trans. If with trans what are the pros and cons. The car will be a daily driver used for the track on weekends. Mainly hill climb. But I live in Switzerland and have relatives near the ring so i plan on taking it on occasion around the Nurernburgring. If I go with trans I was thinking of upgrading it to a 901 or 915 trans. These are all just ideas right now. So I'm trying to weigh out the pros and cons. The batteries will more then likely be lithiumIon, with a couple gelcell's for the car electrics.

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Re: Electric conversion?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 08:48:25 AM »
I can't help answer most of your questions yet but i'm in the middle of a conversion at the moment with a Warp11 and lithinmion batteries. This is in a 21 window bus and I chose the late 091 Bus trans for it's strength. If your options for trans are 901 or 915 i'd go the later. I run the 915 in my bus and it's a very good trans.

Offline s3racing

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 10:09:32 AM »
Thanks for the reply Geoff
What would really be interesting is how the performance compares from electric to a n/a gas or turbo motor. I've just found standardized tests at 72volts which is the ratings that they compare the motors at.

Offline rekka

• AirSpeed Forum Member
    • Radwerx Creative Inc
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 04:51:20 PM »
I have a 915 trans I can sell you to get you started.
Radwerx. Architectural features in wood, metal and concrete www.radwerx.ca

Offline Bruce

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 05:44:24 PM »
If I go with trans I was thinking of upgrading it to a 901 or 915 trans. 
Whenever I have talked to owners of electric VWs about gearboxes, they usually say you only use a couple of the existing gears.  IE, start in 2nd then shift directly to 4th.  One local guy was asking me to build him a Beetle 4 speed with two of the gears removed.  Less gears churning the oil means longer cruising range of your batteries.

Remember, the electric motor makes max torque at zero rpm, so you don't need to multiply the torque like is necessary for a gas engine.  IOW, you probably don't need to go through the effort to convert to a 5 speed when you won't use them all anyway.

Offline s3racing

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 03:53:28 AM »
The more I look into it the more I think I'm going to stick with something normal. Like a T4 engine or T1. Now to pick an appropriate size to fit the bill. Fuel Injection is a must, as air care tests here are quite strickt. From one of the local clubs I heard that I can do max 150 bhp. So How to get around that. Switchable Engine mapping with a 2 different Rev. Limit settings, Maybe.
One thing is sure is N/A or if blown then with a Supercharger not turbo. It will be used a lot on highway, and when i cross the boarder to DE there are some sections where are no limits which i normally set the cruise on the Fam. Van at 160km/h+ so. the Trans and Motor should be able to hold those speeds for an extended time. So an Overdrive 5th gear in the 915 trans. with close ratio's 3/4th will be a must.
Thinking somewhere around a 200bhp, would be a good target. So a 2180cc t1 or on the crazy side a 2463cc t4 are what im looking at, with an Scat aluminum Case. Idea's / Thoughts or am I missing some important considerations.
Tracks I'll take it on will be the N-Ring over weekends and semi. local hill climbs. 

P.S. N-Ring = Nürenburg ring im right next door to it here in Switzerland.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 05:06:18 AM by s3racing »