Author Topic: My Never Ending Project  (Read 16526 times)

Offline s3racing

• http://www.walti-sanitaer.ch
Re: My Never Ending Project
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2015, 10:40:06 AM »
Ok thanks Geoff, maybe Martin the supplier of the trans conversion kit has an idea. I sent him a mail to ask I hope to hear from him on Monday.
Have a great weekend.

Offline Bruce

« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2015, 08:27:29 PM »
Next Stage will be body with lots of bracing and mods,
We are adding lots of bracing on the pan and Body because I decided against a roll cage but wanted to get as much stiffness and handling performance as possible.
Weld convertible reinforcement rails onto the underside of the heater channels.
Weld convertible style gussets in the bottom corners of both door openings.

Offline s3racing

« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2015, 09:29:16 PM »
Thanks for the idea Bruce,

Geoff welded bracing in under the pan already but the body he hasn't started yet. I'll look into the gussets that you mentioned. Thanks René

Offline owdlvr

• Dave Hord
    • Classic Car Adventures
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2015, 11:26:34 AM »
Dave,

I'm a little split on the Balance bar it comes with an adjustable on the fly one and if you don't use it you can lock it with a couple nuts. But the adjuster knob is separate. I haven't yet ordered that but it's not really expensive either. Just not sure if I will ever use it but would've neat to have.

But image type that says if I add it and never really use it then it's waste of space even if it looks cool.

If was a race car it would totally make sense but it will be 80% of its time street/ daily driver the rest I might get a chance to escape for the odd weekend and run it on a hill climb, drivers training or auto cross. There it probably would make sense.

Dave what's your experience would you add an adjuster knob to the pedal cluster?

Even in race cars where we have them, we're rarely adjusting them. You're never really going to adjust it on a street car, beyond the first two setup days. You do some dry pavement tests and set the balance so (ideally) both front and rear lock up at the same instant. Make a note of how many turns from one direction you set it at. You then do the same on wet pavement, where you'll likely find the fronts in the beetle are locking up before the rear (opposite of most vehicles). You then divide the difference between the two settings for your "everyday" setup. Are you really going to turn the knob on rainy days, or will you just adjust your driving style? I doubt you'll be taking it out in the snow, so a winter setting probably isn't needed. If you're going to track the car, and you have the track layout memorized, than yes...you can dial your laptimes down with some brake adjustments. BUT, if you aren't consistently hitting the same line, every lap...you'll never notice the difference.

Based on what you've said regarding your planned use, I would probably spend a couple hours setting up the dry and wet braking via the bolts, and not worry about the knob. I didn't even put a proportioning valve into the rally bug, as the suspension setups I have for gravel, snow and pavement adjust the weight transfer enough that I don't really need it. I'm not going to notice the difference between one click or two, so I might as well focus on my overall driving technique instead.

My next build (GL) will likely have a knob, but I know it's not likely to get used very often at all.

HTH,

-Dave
--
'71 Type 1 - Rally Car Project
'75 Type 1 - Heirloom
'95 F150 - Unfortunate daily driver...

Offline s3racing

« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2015, 11:38:45 AM »
Thanks Dave,

It was $60.00 so I thought its not going to brake the bank and i might be happy to have it when I run it the odd time on the track. So its now in the growing pile of parts to be installed lol.

The build is coming along nicely Geoff is doing an awesome job. Totally impressed with all the custom Fab work he had to do is doing.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 11:04:10 PM by s3racing »

Offline s3racing

« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2015, 11:03:06 PM »
I found this old picture that I had glued to a poster. It's me washing my Car when I bought it back in 1994 :-)

Sorry for the quality it's a picture of a picture :-)