Author Topic: Member Inventory.. INTRODUCE YOURSELF - you and your dubz  (Read 32564 times)

Offline sarge

• Old School
Re: Member Inventory.. INTRODUCE YOURSELF - you and your dubz
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2014, 06:37:46 AM »
Just driving by and saw a light on in the garage so here I am... hope you don't mind!  NICE site!!

Offline Randy

• Formerly Tikitime
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2014, 10:24:30 AM »
Welcome Sarge,
Great people here. Tell us about your nice looking car.
Randy

Offline sarge

• Old School
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2014, 01:33:55 PM »

Welcome Sarge,
Great people here. Tell us about your nice looking car.
Randy

Thanks, Randy!  Wellll... as for the car, it's a '67 my wife and I have owned since 1984.  I bought it off the Used Car lot at Cotton Goff VW where I was working as a Parts Tech for $2000.
Needless to say, it looked nothing like it does now but it was a straight, one-owner car.  My wife commuted to work in it for 100,000 miles and we drove it on plenty of dirt roads in the
mountains and deserts before restoring it in 1989.  The paint and body-work were handled by Becker's Bug House in Orange... no name for the shade of red other then BRIGHT-ASS red.
Quality Auto Upholstery in Bloomington did the interior.  I built the engine myself in 1990... 78.4 Mance crank, 90.5 Cima's, Engle 125 cam, Fumio ported the heads.  The trans uses stock
ratios with a 4:12 ring and pinion and was built by Jim Kaforski at Der Trans Axle.  Brakes are CSP discs in front and Type III rears on short axles with Sway-Away adjustable spring plates
and 25mm rear torsion bars.  The wheels are Flat 4 knock-offs polished by Al Reed in Anaheim.  Exhaust is by Tiger at A1 in Santa Ana... "stepped" 1 1/2 to 1 5/8 primaries with a Magna
Flow muffler.  I like a stock fuel pump, points and condenser, too... let the bashing begin! ;D

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2014, 10:24:34 PM »
Just driving by and saw a light on in the garage so here I am... hope you don't mind!  NICE site!!

hey sarge, glad to see you stopped in and welcome to the asf!! congrats on the 30 years with that amazing ride!  :band1:

i know there is a lot of respect in these parts for you, the dkp, your rides and the history...so don't be a stranger and make sure you post up often! better yet…why don't you & your club buddies come up north for the great canadian vw show in august and enjoy some canadian hospitality!! and bring those schley guys with you too!! we'll show you all a good time, eh! :) :cool:

Offline sarge

• Old School
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2014, 10:51:24 AM »

hey sarge, glad to see you stopped in and welcome to the asf!! congrats on the 30 years with that amazing ride!  :band1:

i know there is a lot of respect in these parts for you, the dkp, your rides and the history...so don't be a stranger and make sure you post up often! better yet…why don't you & your club buddies come up north for the great canadian vw show in august and enjoy some canadian hospitality!! and bring those schley guys with you too!! we'll show you all a good time, eh! :) :cool:

Thanks for the kind words!  The Canadian show is on my Bucket-List for sure.

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2014, 07:59:33 PM »
The Canadian show is on my Bucket-List for sure.

right on sarge...hopefully it floats to the top of the bucket so we see you sooner rather than later!  :)

keep us posted and we'll all be sure to make certain that you & yours are well taken care of!!  :cool:

Offline sarge

• Old School
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2014, 01:42:50 PM »

right on sarge...hopefully it floats to the top of the bucket so we see you sooner rather than later!  :)

keep us posted and we'll all be sure to make certain that you & yours are well taken care of!!  :cool:

[/quote]

Hey, thanks!!

Offline vwlownslo69@hotmail.com

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2014, 08:48:12 PM »
I am new to B.C as I just moved to Vanderhoof (near Prince George) and am looking forward to meeting VW folks out here... I have a 66 westy and a 66 beetle with grafted ragtop tucked away in Ontario, and am just getting settled in.. Once I am I will be bringing them out here to enjoy! -man I miss my cars...

I will post some pics soon... Cheers all!

Offline buddy boy

• Marked for life
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2014, 12:14:44 PM »
Welcome and We hope to see you at the 23rd GCVWS this year

"only dead fish swim with the stream"

Offline PGman

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2014, 01:48:07 PM »
Hello all, my name is Peter, from Calgary.

Just found this '60 in Vancouver WA, and have decided to make a move on it.

OG paint, except for decklid. Rear apron changed with decklid back in the day, some type of accident when the original owner had it. 2nd owner bought the car like that in the late '60's.

I got it from the 3rd owner who found it in the the 2nd owners garage last year where it had sat since 1984. He did a resurrection and it now runs and drives fine.

Just need to get it home.....

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 01:52:01 PM by PGman »

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2014, 07:26:39 AM »
Nice car!

Offline WESTY69

• Just Slam it and Drive It !!
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2014, 10:06:42 PM »
Wow , love it !! Nice score !!
Those that mind , don't matter !!
Those that matter , don't mind :)

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2014, 09:01:35 AM »
Nice buy! A little far to go to Vancouver Wa from Calgary, but probably well worth the trip!
brian waz

Offline PGman

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2014, 08:42:14 PM »
Thanks Brian, and Westy and Geoff too!

Brian, it will be a bit of a trip, but the car is worth it.

It is a rust free example, with almost all it's 1960 weirdness intact.......

It needs a horn ring (lower hoop broken off), W-B crest and a few other minor bits.

The OG door panels are nice, the dash is mint, the glass has never seen a scraper.

My plan is to just drive it as is, maintain it at the highest level I can, collect what few bits it is missing and above all, enjoy it and have fun.

Was heavily into Beetles in the '70's and owned my last one, a '67 in 1984.

Figured 30 years without one was damn well long enough.

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2014, 09:16:19 PM »
there were a few years where it didn't have the horn ring hoop, not sure which years? Likely newer. Here's a quick glance at changes... there's also a good thread for 60 & 61 on the Samba 
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=464213&highlight=1960+horn+ring
brian waz

Offline PGman

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2014, 04:10:14 PM »
Brian, thanks for your advice and the link to the Samba 60-61 thread....

I have spent many hours poring over the '60 stuff to be sure!

Going to get the car in a couple weeks, and that will give me some time to play around with it before it comes time to batten down the hatches in this locale end of October......

Cheers and thanks again.....

P.S. Have read and retread the threads and articles on your Split......what an amazing car!

Offline Splitty Ken

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2014, 05:59:53 PM »
New to the forum and posted these somewhere else and spotted this thread, whoops... anyway, relatively new to Canada and very new to the forum.  I've had the Bus for years (about 18 and doing it for the second time), putting a 400bhp engine in with 915, uniball rear etc. and the bug is a new purchase to tied me over until the bus is up and running.   
Don't have a plan, and nothing can go wrong...

Offline WESTY69

• Just Slam it and Drive It !!
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2014, 06:34:24 PM »
Welcome to the best lil Veedub forum around , sweet veedubs you have there Ken , lots of amazing guys here , Enjoy :)
Those that mind , don't matter !!
Those that matter , don't mind :)