Author Topic: Wtb full length westy z bed !  (Read 744 times)

Offline bagged oval

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Wtb full length westy z bed !
« on: July 27, 2016, 04:39:25 PM »
Looking for a full length z bed for my 70 bay ! Anyone ??? Have cash or trade :)

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
Re: Wtb full length westy z bed !
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 05:10:40 PM »
From the CL thread yesterday:
75 Westfalia full width bed for sale on Kijiji. Does not appear to have the rear cushion or the side bolsters.  Ad says its for a 77 but the serial # says otherwise.  That is definitely not a 3/4 width. Oh and the orange plaid.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-trailer-parts-accessories/penticton/volkswagen-westfalia-fold-out-bed/1185253357?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

FYI .
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 05:22:58 PM »
Buy the brackets and make your own for that price ;)
brian waz

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 05:35:10 PM »
And in addition to the brackets you will need all the exact measurements for the plywood frame and seats and the metal piece that goes on the top of the upper front face.  And a big bag of all the attachment hardware. Oh and at least 2 sheets of 19mm good 2 sides birch plywood, foam and several yards of seat covering.

No more 80's prices for Baywindow parts. 

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 07:35:08 PM »
Yeah, not a bargain, but that one does look fairly clean, and add up all the DIY stuff and it's really close, depends on how crafty you are and if you have connections with suppliers for the materials. The foam alone is well over $100 now for example.

Westfalia parts are top quality stuff and fit like VW wanted them to, will the one you whip up at home compare?
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 08:28:15 PM »
Well lets do the math.  I have most of the hardware and were I to sell it (which I am not doing at the present) the price would be $125. Plywood $100. Foam for the cushions and bolsters probably closer to $150.  4 yards of plaid plus curtain material for the bolsters $225.  So $600 assuming you have the skills for the upholstery work and the woodworking tools to cut the plywood. Now if you want the laminate face like the original that will cost more and you would have to check in Europe or maybe Bus Depot.

At one point a few years ago I had the whole setup for sale for something around $100, maybe less and no one wanted it or didn't want to pay something close.  So I tossed the plywood and cushions and kept the hardware for spares.  Used the face for my headbanger cabinet.  I have the same setup in my 79.

Offline gsun

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 09:17:57 PM »
In the 70's I made my own. I don't know why you would have to use good 2 plywood. I used sheathing. Just get flat pieces. I went to my mechanic and measured all the metal pieces for the brackets and made them myself. It wasn't that hard.
9 years and counting....

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 02:02:00 PM »
brian waz

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 02:08:20 PM »
brian waz

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 03:36:11 PM »
I did not know all that was available.  Very nice and about 175 or so here with the dollar and shipping.  One could save a bit on upholstery and maybe standard grade plywood but not cheap ass chip board. Still going to cost a bit.  The Eurovan seat may not be tall enough for the T2 rear hump.  One would need to measure.

The advantage to the westy seat mechanism is its compactness.  Take a look under a Riviera seat and see how much space it takes up.  I have room for a big ass battery, power converter, fuse box and the heat duct for the BN4 and still lots of storage space under my full length seat.  And my seat will accommodate 3 very large dudes in seat belts as well.

Offline bagged oval

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 05:59:06 PM »
Bump !! Will trade for a early bay closet and zbed that i have in my bus now ...