Author Topic: New member of the family "Agnes" 1972 westy :-)  (Read 3256 times)

Offline 1blk66

New member of the family "Agnes" 1972 westy :-)
« on: September 13, 2014, 08:30:24 PM »
Well after a lot of searching, I finally pulled the trigger. While it isn't the coveted 71, I'm very happy with this nice solid lil California 72 that we've decided to name Agnes ;-)

She's all the way from Littlerock CA.

Offline 1blk66

Re: New member of the family "Agnes" 1972 westy :-)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 08:37:55 PM »
She's certainly a project and I'm sure I will have loads of stupid questions while I look for help and guidance as this is my first bus. She was last registered and on the road in 1994!!

Check out the groovy 80's diamond tuffed interior!!! Fortunately OG is underneath......unfortunately it's pretty trashed so interior is added to the list of needs :-)

Offline WESTY69

• Just Slam it and Drive It !!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 10:46:04 PM »
Congrats on your first bus and good luck with the restorations , looks like you got a nice project to get going on :)
Those that mind , don't matter !!
Those that matter , don't mind :)

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 08:00:36 AM »
Check out the groovy 80's diamond tuffed interior!!! Fortunately OG is underneath......unfortunately it's pretty trashed so interior is added to the list of needs :-)

lol, I thought the interior looked pretty good from the photo ;)
brian waz

Offline 1blk66

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 02:36:28 PM »
Thanks Jerry, 1st order of business is getting a new front window and pop top seal to make sure she's water tight. Then pulling the interior to remove the 20yrs of

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 05:11:37 PM »
I have 2 USA made windshields both with the blue/green tint at the top.  Both for sale. One has a small stone chip and the other some scratches lower down - not in your line of sight.  Or you can take your chances with the Chinese ones.  Some fit well and others need grinding.  When I did the windshield on my 79 I used the best seal  CIP sells and there was no issue with the install or leaks now into the third year.  FYI.

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 05:23:15 PM »
............. While it isn't the coveted 71, ..............
I happen to like 72's, most of the fun early stuff but with a bulletproof type 4 in the back and the best heat of any year bus.

Congratulations!, looks like a nice project, don't toss anything out yet as 3/4 of the replacemnt stuff available is worse out of the package than used OG parts.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 06:32:22 PM »
Amen to BUSDADDY's comments.  If I had known what the frustration with the replacement parts would be, I don't know if I would have embarked on this journey some 4 1/2 years ago!

Offline WESTY69

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 07:38:54 PM »
Busdaddy has it nailed down , keep everything possible and work to restore what you have as there is do much one year only stuff for that 72 , be a shame yah toss or sell it off and try to find a replacement . The glass with the tint on top sounds very interesting as it's a nice touch with the tint . CIP does have a very good seal so you can't go wrong there .
Sounds like you're having fun which is the main thing , keep us posted :)

Offline 1blk66

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 06:37:39 PM »
My windshield is a USA model not OG. I guess my original post wasn't clear, the windshield is good (minor chip) it's the seal I need to replace. Any tips on pulling the windshield and replacing the seal? I have a German seal from CIP

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 06:43:14 PM »
Lay a razor knife against the glass so the tip goes under the seal and start cutting, careful you don't go so deep you scratch the paint on the frame, once a little is up you can usually rip the old seal's outer 1/2 off leaving the winshield ready to push out into your helpers waiting hands. Don't be shocked if you need to do some paint and possibly some rust work under the seal, it may not be the 1/2 hour job you plan on.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline WESTY69

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 06:57:09 PM »
Lay a razor knife against the glass so the tip goes under the seal and start cutting, careful you don't go so deep you scratch the paint on the frame, once a little is up you can usually rip the old seal's outer 1/2 off leaving the winshield ready to push out into your helpers waiting hands. Don't be shocked if you need to do some paint and possibly some rust work under the seal, it may not be the 1/2 hour job you plan on.

Best way possible , great explanation Mark and if anyone suggests for you to sit in ur passenger seat and push it out with both feet ..... Just say nooooooooo haha , especially if u have a lil chip and are trying to save it , yes words of experience taking a suggestion from a non experienced person . It was pretty kewl though , that sucker spiderwebbed so quick and came out so fast lucky the dam thing was already broken before it hit the ground !!!!
Yeah not one of my proudest moments :)

Offline 70's Looker

• More than a 70's Hooker!
  • what's this for?
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 07:22:29 PM »
Just be sure to get the rock chip filled before you start pushing 

Looks like jerry said the same thing but it's important!
Zündfolge Car Club

Offline 1blk66

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 07:55:32 PM »
Well, it turns out I will need a replacement windshield after all. Had the chip filled and then noticed a small crack in the corner.

Offline WESTY69

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 08:10:40 PM »
I have 2 USA made windshields both with the blue/green tint at the top.  Both for sale. One has a small stone chip and the other some scratches lower down - not in your line of sight.  Or you can take your chances with the Chinese ones.  Some fit well and others need grinding.  When I did the windshield on my 79 I used the best seal  CIP sells and there was no issue with the install or leaks now into the third year.  FYI.

Looks like you're a lucky man :)