Author Topic: Headers Leak  (Read 1413 times)

Offline 1969deluxebus

• Cruising in a Bay is the only way.
Headers Leak
« on: October 05, 2004, 01:21:54 AM »
does anyone have getting studs out of heads down pretty good? i have a leak and i am not a pro at getting studs out for the exaust. i know you can drill it and easyout it i don't have and easy out. Just thought i would put it out there if anyone would want to help or something along that line. one of those  jobs  where i bring a case of beer  and we work on the bus  and  talk about VW and stuff.. i know people but they aren't really into the VW thing and i want to get more involved in the community  :blink:  so just putting that out there.

Thanks
Matt Street
I love driving and I love driving either my bay window or TDI

Offline Cameron

Headers Leak
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 08:25:49 AM »
Drilling out a broken exhaust stud is best done with the engine out of the vehicle.

You used to be able to buy a drill fixture to drill out exhaust studs. I don't know if they are still available. You could ask the guys at AirSpeed.

You will have to unbolt the exhaust system from the head, to drill out the broken stud.  File the end of the stud flat and center punch it.  Use your drill fixture to drill it out. If you can't get a drill fixture, you can drill a small hole down the center of the stud, and progressively get bigger, until you get to the tap drill size. (6.75mm for M8 stud) Retap the hole when you get to 6.75mm. Use sharp tools and lots of lube. It also helps if you use a left hand drill bit to do this job. These can be difficult to find, but they make the job easier. Sometimes the left hand drill willl lock in the stud, and simply unscrew it. But this does not happen very often with exhaust studs, as they usually rust themselves into the head.

There are also oversize studs available, if you need to make an oversize hole, M10 on one end, and M8 on the other.  

Do NOT use an \"easy out\", or stud extractor! They rarely work, and break easily. And when you break it off in your already broken stud, then you are really \"F\"ed. It will be very expensive to remove a broken easy out.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2004, 08:27:33 AM by Cameron »

It's an insane world out there... and I'm proud to be part of it!

Offline Bruce

Headers Leak
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 02:14:08 AM »
Although I have succesfully drilled out exhaust studs, I now weld onto them to get them out.  What I do is get the MIG welder and weld onto the end of the stud.  Build up enough steel so you can grab onto it with your vise grips.  Usually the steel you weld on will break off, just weld more on and repeat.  Eventually you will get enough heat into it that it will come out.

Offline 1969deluxebus

• Cruising in a Bay is the only way.
Headers Leak
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 02:23:13 AM »
the last one that i got out my buddy just heated it up and then we  drilled it and then just went with bigger  drill bits  until we could get a bolt big enough to work. i wasn't really down with that for i like haveing the peace of mind of a stud and haveing it all  doen right. it works fine though but yeah. i am going to ttry and tack it this weekend if i can. hate that loud dirt bike like sound. it really freaks people out when i am beside them and then i lay on the gas and they are like holy crap. any way thank for the tip.
Matt Street
I love driving and I love driving either my bay window or TDI