Author Topic: Importing a Vehicle from the USA - New 2015 Procedures  (Read 5963 times)

Offline nivag

• Gavin Lee
Re: Importing a Vehicle from the USA - New 2015 Procedures
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2015, 06:22:18 PM »
http://www.cbpvehicleexport.com/how-to-export/

just found out about this , sounds good

I am just in process of importing a car from the U.S. I am using CBP in hansk's link and so far the cost is $50, paid PayPal and Julie has been amazing to deal with...

Offline Hansk

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2015, 02:23:00 AM »
Yup worked out good for me too .
Big fat black fastback

Offline nivag

• Gavin Lee
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2015, 01:25:02 PM »
 Got the car home this morning and definitely recommend using these guys : $50  and no other hidden fees... Had my ITN number next day.

http://www.cbpvehicleexport.com/how-to-export/

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2015, 04:23:30 PM »
Great info, Thx guys.

Offline josh

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2015, 06:44:33 PM »
Do tell Gav, what did you get? A thing?
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2015, 09:07:12 PM »
Do tell Gav, what did you get? A thing?

x2...congrats gavin and lets hear some details, see some pics!!  :cool:

Offline vwguy

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2015, 09:42:00 PM »
OK,Let's summarize the original question. Do we need to get a Export stamp from the US border when exporting  a vintage vehicle from the US ? or can I just drive up to the Canadian customs with the vehicle and the original  US registration Pay the taxes site the VIN and be on my way .

Offline gsun

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2015, 09:20:57 PM »
You do not need a US export stamp for Canadian border purposes. Full stop. Endo. Fini.
9 years and counting....

Offline Hansk

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2015, 01:42:43 PM »
Unless you feel the need to comply with US regulations/laws .   For me (and any future owners of the vehicle)  , $50 is cheep peace of mind .
Big fat black fastback

Offline gsun

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2015, 08:56:56 PM »
Here we go again....
9 years and counting....

Offline PICTUP

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2016, 10:38:15 PM »
This is a great reference thread and it saved me a lot of grief in the past. I thought I should add a bit of info that you should consider even before departing the seller's presence in the USA.....After importation the next step is of course registration, and I recently found out that ICBC's new system allows them to be much more bureaucratic. In the past, a "signed off" original US title by the person whose name appears on the title has been all that was necessary(and of course the other paperwork talked about here) to get the vehicle registered. It needn't have been in the name of the person who you bought it from. That is not quite the case now. If you have a Bill of Sale from your seller, but their name/signature doesn't appear on the title(usually on the back of the original title), and there is no Bill Of Sale from the person named on the title to your seller, there will be a problem with what ICBC deems "continuity of ownership". It doesn't matter if all the other forms have been filled out correctly and rubber stamped by the US and Canadian authorities, ICBC won't register it(so far in my experience). I have found some vehicles in the US have passed thru many "owners" but the title was signed off by someone 3 or more transactions(i.e. same vehicle sales) ago.  So what if you didn't buy the vehicle from the registered owner? The official way is to get your seller to register it in their name, then provide you with a Bill Of Sale. If you can get a Bill Of Sale from the registered owner(i.e. the person whose name and address is on the front of the title)  to your seller(and the registered owner's signature is on the back of the title), that works too. That then satisfies ICBC's "continuity of ownership" and you will be able to go thru the inspection process and if passed, register the vehicle. Alternatively, you can fill out ICBC's "Registration Application for a Vehicle in Restoration" (and supply appropriate documentation) which allows you to register the vehicle before inspection(a hold is put on insuring the vehicle until it has passed inspection). It is a good alternative if you want it in your name before working on the vehicle. But ICBC still wants that paper documented "continuity of ownership". I hope that is clearer than mud...   ;)

Offline Bruce

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2017, 01:31:00 PM »
Here's a question for anyone who's imported a car recently.
Did you drag it through the Nexus lane coming into Canada at the truck crossing?

I know of two guys who imported old VWs last month.  Both went through the Nexus lane after showing their cars to the Americans.  The first guy went through with no trouble.  The second guy gets a threat that they may take away his Nexus card for going through the Nexus lane.  WTF?
On Saturday when I went through the Nexus lane at the truck crossing, I asked if it was ok through the Nexus lane with a car import, and the guy said yes, not a problem.

How many others have imported through the Nexus lane?

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2017, 06:39:24 AM »
I brought my doublecab through the nexus lane and was told politely to use the regular lane because it slows everything down. I guess it all depends on who you get.