Author Topic: Idiot Lights Aren't Working  (Read 2502 times)

Offline kirin

Idiot Lights Aren't Working
« on: October 10, 2005, 02:11:14 PM »
Hey Guys,
Trying to get my bug back on the road after a year of storage. Have been finishing up the interior bits. Trying to get the electrical issues sorted out then the supension(You mean its not suppoed to have positive camber in the front!?) anyways. I got the turnsignals working in the cluster. But I can't figure out whats wrong with my idiot lights. According to the wiring diagram I have they are right. The two big questions I have are. Where is the blue and green wire from the high beam switch supposed to go? On mine it goes to the 2nd fuse terminal(from the left) where there are white wires(headlights) plugged in. That would be great but theres no male connector to put it into. 2nd question. For the ground wire(Screw on the back of the speedometer) does it plug into the male connector just below the turnsignal bulb? Or where is the grounding block? My wiring diagram has nothing for this one.
Please help me get Seabert back on the road... Still looking for somebody to help sort out the suspension(Camber up front.. lower the back) and the window rubber's for a few extra bucks
Cheers!
If it helps its on a 62 beetle.
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Offline Mowser

• "You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. " Calvin
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 11:15:15 PM »
Hope this helps kirin,

'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window

Offline kirin

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 10:49:01 AM »
Nope
Already got a big one done up at home by a chart plotter.
Thanks for trying

Offline jason_hamilton

• Admin
  • 1969 Karmann Ghia 2161cc
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 11:02:15 AM »
Kirin, you mention a \"blue and green wire from the high beam switch\". As you can see in the factory wiring diagram for your car, there is no blue and green wire from the high beam switch if your car has it's original wiring.

Has your wiring been replaced?

Which idiot light(s) are not working?

Jason Hamilton

Offline kirin

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 10:40:42 PM »
It has had the wiring harness replaced a fusebox
The highbeams do work. Its just the light. So the wire from the highbeam light doesn't have a home to go to.
Both oil light and alternator light do not work but I have figured out how to make the turnsignals work...
Also wondering where the ground wire off the cluster should go to..

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 10:58:21 PM »

to ground.

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 11:24:35 PM »

to ground.
lmao.  :lol:  

Offline Mowser

• "You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. " Calvin
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 11:50:00 PM »
firstly.. OMG that was funny Silas.  If you haven't figured out where to put the ground wire then no wonder the lights don't work.  Give your head a shake dude.  What did you think ground wire meant?  Perhaps you should extend it and drag it behind the car.  Now with that said my '64 has a couple locations where the ground wire is attached in and around the gauges. If memory serves one of the main ones is at the wiper motor.  The other being on the support rail that extends down behind the speedo.  If time permits I'll snap a picture tomorrow and post it for you K.   :rockon:  
'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window

Offline kirin

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 08:17:49 AM »
76 bus.
If you had actually bothered to read my first post you would of seen that I asked where the ground wire goes to. The grounding block on the bottom of the speedometer or where?
Not as silly as you must think....God volkswagens make no sense!

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 08:45:53 AM »
Ground is ground, its the most commom electrical connection on a dc voltage system. Any ground will do as they are all equal, if there not then you have a problem.