Author Topic: Power Draw Problem  (Read 4467 times)

Russ

Power Draw Problem
« on: December 01, 2004, 07:25:15 PM »
about a week ago i started losing the pre sets on my radio stations(57 beetle converted to 12v).when i would start the car i would notice the radio eaither not come on right away or flash or dim when i turn on the headlights(onetime radio came on but no headlights) for a few minutes.
i had a leak under the hood and some of the fuses were corroded i swapped out the fuse block and new fuses in hopes that it would cure the problem :(
well the wife came home yesterday and said the car lost all power and died (we have an alarm on the car were you have to touch a metal battery looking thing to the flashing light before you can start it) alarm light starts flashing and alarm started to go off,touched the button fired right up and away she went,well it happened one more time on the way home :(  :(
all i can tell for sure is that there is a definate power draw when i start the car with the stero dimming ect..i am at a loss on this one electrical stuff is not my strong point???
any ideas on where to start

thanks russ

Matt

Power Draw Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 09:19:31 PM »
Could it just be a dying generator? maybe time for new brushes. does the gen light glow at all?

Offline Chris

• Car.
Power Draw Problem
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 09:22:32 PM »
yeah, or maybe lose belt?

Russ

Power Draw Problem
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 09:23:11 PM »
swapped to an new alternator in the spring.
has been working good so far

Offline Chris

• Car.
Power Draw Problem
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 09:27:16 PM »
How is the battery, maybe have it load tested.

Matt

Power Draw Problem
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 09:28:08 PM »
I'm sure someone with much more experience will chime in here but I know the charging system should produce a certain # of volts while at idle, any idea what yours is producing? you may need to find someone with a voltmeter. I have one just don't know how to use it!!

Russ

Power Draw Problem
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 09:40:29 PM »
I'm sure someone with much more experience will chime in here but I know the charging system should produce a certain # of volts while at idle, any idea what yours is producing? you may need to find someone with a voltmeter. I have one just don't know how to use it!!
funny you should say that,me too

ok i'll check the belt and have the battery test (it's a start atleast)
thanks russ

Offline Chris

• Car.
Power Draw Problem
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 10:03:53 PM »
I have a voltmeter, and apparently as per my educational records, have been trained in the proper use of one. The strange part, I never bother using it at work.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 10:04:13 PM by 1976BUS »

Offline Hansk

Power Draw Problem
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 11:36:35 PM »
Hey Russ , what else do you have hooked up in the car that uses power?   Big stereo , 80/100 watt head lights etc. ?
I've been finding even in my Vanagon with 80/100 watt headlights that the charging system can't keep up these days with the lights , wipers, fans etc.  going all the time everytime I drive it.  I notice it turning over slower and slower everyday. Then I just hook up the charger to it for a few hours and it's fine again for a few weeks.
But also double check grounds at the battery to pan and pan to trans and check the connections that were made when converting to the alt.
Big fat black fastback

Offline James Buchan

Power Draw Problem
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004, 06:13:06 AM »
At idle you should see 12.8V and at load around 13.8-14.4V put the probes directly on the battery posts, not the cables for an accurate reading.

If you want to come by I'll have a look at it - I went through similar problems with my car last spring.

Russ

Power Draw Problem
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2004, 06:43:48 AM »
Hans,
i did swap over to H4 headlights a few months ago but not the 80/100 the normal 55/75?? can't remember exactly.i hooked up the charger last night and i will try and figure out the battery voltage later and check grounds ect..

James,
i have to swing by in the near future to drop some money off (for Jason(said it was easier for him to grab it from you)
mabey we can see what it is doing then :)

thanks for the reply guys

Russ

Offline James Buchan

Power Draw Problem
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2004, 07:07:35 AM »
I'll take any and all money for J, no problem  :rockon:  

Russ

Power Draw Problem
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2004, 08:40:25 AM »
well i charged the battery overnight and it still has the dimming of the stereo or cutting out.start looking at grounds now????
james when you had a similar problem what did it turn out to be?

thanks russ

Offline James Buchan

Power Draw Problem
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2004, 08:46:44 AM »
For me it was bad battery cables. I replaced both the ground and the positive, cleaned up the conatacts and all was good.

What circuit do you have the stereo running off of? And what accessories have you added to the car? Your alt only puts out 55amps (if stock size) maybe you are just overdrawing what it is able to put out. If thats the case you'll have to upgrade to a 75amp alt or take something offline.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 08:47:15 AM by James Buchan »

Offline Chris

• Car.
Power Draw Problem
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2004, 04:56:06 PM »
try an oversized pulley.

Russ

Power Draw Problem
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2004, 09:36:07 AM »
i'm not really sure it's an alternator thing (but like i said i no squat about electrical)
my batter does not lose power(sounds strong and fires everytime) even when the car lost all power (almost like a breaker blew) it fired right up again
now i switched to the H4 headlights about 6 weeks ago other than that the after market alrm and stereo have been in the car and working for the last 2 and a half years.
i think i will fire it up today and just start looking at the power out put at certain points and see what i come up with???
russ

Offline Chris

• Car.
Power Draw Problem
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2004, 10:57:53 AM »
your still running a generator? maybe you have an intermittent problem with your regulator. If it just dies.  

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Power Draw Problem
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2004, 01:34:55 PM »
are the headlights, stereo & alarm all on the same circuit?

if so, i could be to great a resistance for that one circuit. not enough power running through that circuit to run all those components. try dissabling the alarm for a day and see if the brightness of the headlights and the settings and lights on the stereo all work better.

or it may be an extra unwanted resistance in that circuit. poor ground, spliced wire, exposed wire shorting itself.

it does sound like the problem is with this one circuit. if everything else seems to work ok, focus on this particular circuit.

Offline Chris

• Car.
Power Draw Problem
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2004, 01:53:22 PM »
Im not sure how many actual power circuits are feed individually up to the fuse box, but basically if your drawing to much power on a FUSED circuit then you would be able to tell by feeling the wires, check for heat, but if your experience a situation where the car dies, you are looking at a power supply issue.

Losing presets would be an issue with your constant power source, thats what makes me think you may have a bunk battery.

I had a battery once that would just crap out, then 5 minutes later it was fine. Get it load tested, usually most shops do that for free.

I also suggest looking at your igniton switch, maybe worn contacts or lose connections. Dont forget car alarms, especially older models did not compensate for constant low amperage draw on your battery which can kill it.  

Russ

Power Draw Problem
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2004, 05:35:49 PM »
found the problem but at this time have not been able to fix it.
the ignition wires were corroded and melte,so i took it out cleaned the contacts and cleaned the wire ends and put it all back together,i think it's worse now :(
i did not wire the stereo or the alarm but both of them are conected to the ignition wires,mabey try and find alternate places to wire it up???
atleast i have an idea where the problem is now :D
hopefully i will be able to make this work

russ

Offline Chris

• Car.
Power Draw Problem
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2004, 05:49:58 PM »
I would rewire your alarm and stereo away from there to an alternate constant power source. Try to isolate the ignition to prevent surge/spike voltages from the ignition.

Russ

Power Draw Problem
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2004, 08:33:59 PM »
thanks for the help
i'll give it a try

Russ