Author Topic: brake switch  (Read 2920 times)

Offline Alp

• I’m not your type. I’m not inflatable.
brake switch
« on: September 23, 2010, 11:53:48 PM »
I found this broken on the race car.  It has the number 300 stamped into the base.  Is that in reference to a 300 PSI switch?  Seems quite high for this kind of switch??  It was wired into the 2 step box.

Offline Chris

• Car.
Re: brake switch
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 12:00:12 AM »
It was in the master cylinder?

Offline Alp

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 12:27:44 AM »
no under the car mounted in a distribution block.  One line from the front pedal the other from the handbrake.  Then a third line to the rear brakes.  My brother thought it was a emergency type brake and pulled up on it causing too much brake line pressure and the switch burst.

Billyisgr8

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 06:02:43 AM »
 The handbrake, might be a staging brake...without knowing what kind of staging set-up the car has. That may have been the activation switch for the 2-step most likely.  I have also seen a pressure guage inline with a staging brake, this switch may have also been to turn on a light at a preset psi...maybe 300 to let you know when you had enough pressure in the brake system to start to preload against the clutch to be consistant, and not guess every time.  I use my e-brake so I don't know what psi is needed to hold a car back on the line.

Kevin

Offline Alp

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 06:59:39 AM »
yes it is a staging brake hence why it would be in-line with the foot brake.  The car does have a brake gauge also.  It isn't how much line pressure I am worried about.  I cannot find a switch like this with a 300 psi rating at any supply house.  The best I have seen is 30-120 PSI.  I even went to a specialty shop for pressure type switches and they didn't have anything that could be fabricated to replace it.

Offline Alp

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 09:03:25 AM »
found out it is a Painless electrical part and yes it is rated for 300 PSI.