Author Topic: !@#%!* Bug! I Should Be At Work..  (Read 2501 times)

Offline Boost_Retard

!@#%!* Bug! I Should Be At Work..
« on: June 25, 2004, 08:13:43 AM »
:angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

WELL!!! today i needed my car to get to work..not often i need my car to get to work..but every now and then i do..never had a problem with the new setup...BUT this morning..get in the car..fire it up...it did not want to start...but it did...then it did not want to idle..but then it came around...started up my street..bang pop boom F%#K!...pulled over..fuel PSI was OK...kept going on my way..seemed alright other then a not so smooth cruize speed..hit the gas..blaaaaaa nothing..pull over..check it all out..everything looked ok..get to timmys..still hooped..had a big ass crowd of ppl checkin the car out while i was trying to make it run right..but it seemed fine at idle..or not under load..now im back home cuz i cant get it to run right and im not gonna blow up a motor for 200 bucks worth of wages.

BUT i need a damn truck that runs all the time. so if anyone wants a kick ass baja and has some real money or a good trade im in. cuz this is not worth it..friggin volkswagens are not ment for driving every day. So one of them has 2 go before i burn them both.

Cale

Offline 66split

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 08:30:27 AM »
man that sucks.  I am glad i didnt go with the CB kit...of course i won't know until next week...if you are not getting boost maybe your wastgate/bov is stuck open?
naming a car is gay...really gay.

Offline Boost_Retard

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 09:13:29 AM »
no i make boost.. lots of boost..just for some reason after i made boost the car fell on its face...i dont think it has anything to do with the CB kit..its just the way it is..im sure any kit would give the same trouble..shit happens..everything i have ever built has had one problem or another..its just with this FI kit..you cant ask Joe webber to help you out when something goes wrong.

its kind of a solo deal..obviously something simple is wrong..the FI system is not a complicated one..a few sensors..a few Vac lines and boost lines..fuel pressure.. and spark. the ECU is pre programmed..it works.. i know it does, i dont think the computer can work sometimes and not others..

its just everything i do to this motor now..is the first time i have ever done it..i have never before tried to tune a FI car..

i know what to look for when a carb is popping..but when an injected TB is shooting flames..LOL beats me man..i know the injector is not plugged.. the car idles great and revvs fine when not under load..

its just a learn as ya go kinda thing..but when its working it works great..im sure once i get the bugs worked out i will have no problems with it..but untill then..i need another truck.

im gonna pull the plugs.. check my intakes for leaks..test voltage to the pump..check Fuel PSI before and after the regulator..and check my timing..and my advance curves.. but what gets me is how i bet anyone 50 bucks that if i went outside right now and started my car it would run perfect..and prob stay that way for a week or so..then this would happen again.

My bug is just a slut.
Cale

Offline Hansk

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 10:25:15 AM »
Could it be crap in your tank?  You probably checked that already.
Some sort of icing somewhere?  Some wire touching something somewhere?
You know how these on again off again problems are.
Maybe the DGLVK could come over and give it a hug  :wub:  
Big fat black fastback

Offline Boost_Retard

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 10:52:23 AM »
My bug is not the toutchy feeley type..a good donkey punch and shes ready.
but there are only so many donkey punches one little bug can take.

my tank is clean..but im gonna change the fuel filter..if i can find one! i need a filter with a half inch inlet/outlet..good luck getting ahold of one..i have napa part numbers and Wix numbers but the retards at lordco cant seem to figure it out.

at the moment im just really fed up with the car..LOL but try and try again.
i swear us VW guys have to be suckers..having my bug is like being in an abusive relation ship..shes always kicking my ass..but i come crawling back for more..I buy it shiney things..still no respect..i treat her nice..still nothing..i give it a good donkey punch..all is well for an hour or 2..but then im back 2 square one shortly after.

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 10:58:58 AM »
Sounds like you having been giving it the lovin' it deserves, go out ger her a go and if that doesnt work call Shane over for some hug therapy!

CHEECH

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 11:19:32 AM »
Dude, Spit on the bitch and call it a whore . Then start going over everything, spark plugs, boost lines, vacume lines. dont give in to it and for f@#K sake dont sell the baja.

Offline Boost_Retard

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 11:50:20 AM »
well its not the plugs..the plugs look great..what a MO FO to get those plugs out though..took me a whole pack of smokes to get out 4 plugs..DAMN.

Cale

Offline 66split

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004, 12:00:39 PM »
hey cale did you try what Sharkey suggested by rerunning the return line to the gas tank?  when a vw cuts out its usually spark or fuel, spark is usually a bad ground and fuel in an FI car is super important esp cuz of the pressures involved.  Late model FI busses have 2 return lines for the injection system.  you need alot of airflow through the tank as well to be sucking 50+lbs from that sucker...

Offline 66split

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2004, 12:02:33 PM »
come on down and I'll help you with yours if you help me with mine!! lol

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2004, 12:12:43 PM »
Cale, Maybe try running the car with the gas cap off, Maybe it's not vented enough?

Offline Hoosier Daddy

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2004, 12:27:47 PM »
Yah Cale, take the rag out of the filler hole!

Just kidding :D  

Offline Boost_Retard

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2004, 12:46:46 PM »
well...im gonna change my fuel filter now...and yeah my gas tank vent is not exactly a large one..stock 66 style so i bet it could be larger..what do you think would be a good way to get more vent? i could drill a hole in the tank but that sounds like a bitch..or i could drill a hole in the gas cap..put in a barb fitting with a 1/2\" breather...

humm..i dunno..im gonna keep checkin..maybe just maybe i will be at the races tonight and actually RACE :)

it just strikes me as odd how my car will do this once in a while..last time it was hot as hell and had been driving the car for an hour..and this time it had been sitting over night and cold..so things dont add up that way..

i dont think i should drive the car with no gas cap..its the under the hood style and that would make for allot of spilt fuel in the car..and even with the gas cap on it runs fine when its just sitting still..im gonna drill some holes :)

ttyl
Cale

Offline James Buchan

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2004, 12:53:14 PM »
Hold on - don't drill any holes unless you want to blow your car up.

Try venting the cap first, maybe don't tighten it so air can get in prior to drilling you cap.

Offline 66split

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2004, 01:06:28 PM »
if it runs fine while idling etc then it is probably fuel related.  Will a late bus gas cap fit?  they are vented...  It'd be best in the long run to pull the take and have a gas tank repair shop weld in a vent bung on the filler...at the same time you can weld up anpther bung for the return line...bigger=better with EFI. more flow GPH+more vent+more PSI = happy efi car!!  lol  you'll figure it out, just be as thoughtful for me next week when I am cryin cuz mine is doin the same thing!!lol

Offline Boost_Retard

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2004, 01:36:29 AM »
Hey man i will help you in any way i can..haha im not gonna blow myself up..i never did drill a hole but if i was going to i would flush the tank and blow it out for a good long time..

i think that my main line is a wee bit small on my FI system..its #6..but it has worked great untill right now..

i tired to make this fuel filter i have work but no go..so quite possibly it is my fuel filter..but i find it hard to believe that it could be so plugged up so fast when everything was blown out and very well cleaned before it was put together..i hope its that simple though..
Cale

Offline Boost_Retard

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2004, 01:39:23 AM »
my fuel PSI jumps around from 45-50 PSI at idle...at spikes up to about 60 when i hit the gas... what kinda PSI would you think i should be running?

Cale

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2004, 12:18:27 PM »
a good donkey punch and shes ready.
now that is f@$kin funny.