Author Topic: WTB VW Westfalia Project  (Read 3304 times)

Offline ryancr500

WTB VW Westfalia Project
« on: January 25, 2015, 05:26:06 PM »
I'm looking to buy a VW Westfalia Project.  I would prefer one with minimal rust, but I am open to all options.  Please let me know if you have anything. 

Offline Scooby

Re: WTB VW Westfalia Project
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 08:21:28 PM »
67 OG westy pm me for more details

Offline westcoast-paul

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
brian waz

TaigaBus

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 09:21:45 AM »
Wow, non running, stripped down for "only" 2 grand.  :hum:

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 10:58:40 AM »
but if it's all there, (interior too), rust and damage fixed, $2k is a good price.
brian waz

Offline ryancr500

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 03:21:28 PM »
The project in Victoria may be a little more work than I was hoping for.  Looks like it will be a nice camper when finished.  Some good leads so far, but I'm still looking.  Ryan

Offline Scooby

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 07:30:46 PM »
You never said what your budget was or if you want a split or bay.

Offline ryancr500

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 08:19:51 PM »
I would love a split, but most of the splits are out of my range.  I would like to stay around the 3K range, so I'm pretty sure any splits in that range would be way too much work.  I also don't mind the newer models either... I'm mainly looking for a project I can work on with my two daughters so we can go camping this summer.   
Ryan

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 09:40:45 PM »
I would like to stay around the 3K range,
That's going to be a tough number to meet even for a rotten bay that sort of drives in a really sketchy way these days, good luck with your quest.
A bus you can use safely this summer (even though it looks like ass and has issues) will start around $5K and go up from there, sadly others with better bank accounts have gotten into the market before you it seems. Keep watching the ads and jump (carefully) when one comes up, think about it longer than 1/2 a day and it'll be on it's way to Europe, they pay that for rusty turds as long as the photos in the ads show shiny paint.
You may find a project for that number, but unless you work like those magic shops on reality TV your daughters will be too old to ever be seen camping with you by the time it's actually ready to go, sometimes the extra bucks up front buy more quality time now and later you'll pat yourself on the back for bucking up, you'll never get those years back later. :)

Don't rule out a little rust when choosing a bus to go camping with the kids either, they won't care (it's the inside and back seat that counts as well as the destination), and in a few years you can ditch it for at least what you paid and get the bus you really want after you've test driven that one and decided what you like or hate.

The #1 thing to concentrate on is the kids won't be little forever, jump now because they won't wait.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline ryancr500

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 09:50:48 PM »
Good Points! Thanks

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 07:25:59 AM »
brian waz

Offline josh

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 09:27:51 AM »
I have a line on a mid 70s westy......gonna go look at it tomorrow I hope? been sitting outside for a few years so I tink some of the interior way be a bit moist but can let you know how she is?
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

TaigaBus

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 02:18:14 PM »
Ya have to check out the YouTube video !!!!

http://nanaimo.craigslist.ca/cto/4855891445.html

Offline ryancr500

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 04:12:21 PM »
Keep the leads coming!  Any good split projects laying around?? 

TaigaBus

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 04:28:38 PM »

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 09:30:58 PM »
67 OG westy pm me for more details

noooooooooo.......!  :)

Ya have to check out the YouTube video !!!!

http://nanaimo.craigslist.ca/cto/4855891445.html

that's awesome!

also...

x2 what busdaddy said. good points and sound advice.

you can also surf thesamba.com classifieds, but we prepared for some slightly higher/sometimes exaggerated asking prices (and steer clear of user unamijoe, bad feedback, lots of drama surrounding that seller)...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?submit=yes&keywords=&type=text&stype=all&username=&yearfrom=&yearto=&pricefrom=&priceto=&model%5B%5D=&section%5B%5D=7&wanted=show&zip=&zipdist=0&state%5B%5D=British+Columbia&usaregion=&country=&sort=date&sort_order=DESC&submitButton=Search

plus...consider expanding the search to washington & oregon (mostly cleaner cars than up here on our coast, even look in california if you want to go that far), follow the leads in this thread, put up a wanted add on craigslist, keep your eyes peeled for for sale signs when you're out driving, keep talking to everyone you see and get the word out...good luck and keep us posted!

Offline junichi

Offline ryancr500

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 03:17:23 PM »
That 1985 Westfalia in Victoria was sold right away, I never even received a response from the owner. After considering the different models, I think I'm leaning towards the Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia style. Haven't decided on aircooled 80-83 or watercooled 84-91 Please keep sending any leads!
Thanks

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 03:35:40 PM »
watercooled, although often a larger engine in a later model, has a ton of pipes for the coolant to run from the rad out front to the engine out back. Costly if there's any issues! (I know, I've had one) Comments on the aircooled version? My neigbour has one and swears by it!
brian waz

Offline BUSDADDY

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 04:15:33 PM »
Nothing wrong with an aircooled Vanagon as long as it's maintained and tuned properly, a neglected turd with missing tin, numerous oil leaks and grease choked cooling fins will toast the heads and drop a valve just like a late bay. A CHT gauge is always money well spent as well, it's good to know when it's time to back off a little and get by that truck on the next passing lane.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline Al H

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2015, 05:16:51 PM »
Check Craigslist VCR there is one on there now 1982 Westy with transmission problem for 2000

TaigaBus

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 05:32:59 PM »
I'd test drive both types. See what you like. Vànagons are comfortable, but there's just something about a bay

Offline ryancr500

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 06:40:29 PM »
I noticed that one on craigslist for 2K.  Also an aircooled 81 I may check out.  One of the issues I'm finding is rust.  Which areas are most important to look at?

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2015, 09:00:27 AM »
Vanagon Westy's, for rust seems to always be the seams. By the gas filler on the passenger side, and along the bottom below the cover plates. I think there was an issue with either leaks from the inside water that gathered below on the inside and rusted the bottom seam, or just condensation from cold water on a hot day. Rare that one doesn't have that area rusty unless it's always been garaged. (from the ones I've owned)
brian waz

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2015, 10:28:59 AM »
here's a few in BC, not "rust free" by any means... That drop in the dollar won't help finding one state side...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1738072
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1742815
brian waz

Offline ryancr500

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2015, 11:51:31 AM »
I bought a westfalia!!!  I ended up buying the one listed on Craigslist in Vancouver advertised for $2200.  It is a 1982 and was in pretty good overall condition... Only major problem is that the reverse gear isn't engaging.  Not sure if it's linkage or transaxle. One interesting detail is that it has a Jetta motor conversion which I don't know too much about.  Interior is in good shape win no rips or torn seats. It hadn't been driven in 2 years and ended up paying $800 for it!!  Battery was dead, no fuel in tank and no reverse. I took out the plugs, threw in a little gas. Filled the tank a bit and gave her a jump. Started right up. Had to push it into the alley... Checked the brakes.... And drove it home!! Now the fun part begins. Thanks for all the leads on westfalias. Time to diagnose the reverse issue

Offline BUSDADDY

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2015, 12:52:11 PM »
Cool!, can't beat a driver at that price even if you have to put a trans in it. You and the kids are going to have fun!
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

TaigaBus

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2015, 12:54:36 PM »
Congrats!!!!