Author Topic: Shock Absorber Limiting Straps  (Read 3670 times)

Offline neil68

Shock Absorber Limiting Straps
« on: September 05, 2014, 10:30:06 PM »
I was experiencing some major lift of the rear suspension at the end of the 1/4-mile, during braking...causing the front fenders to rub on the tires.  I know one answer is to install a narrow beam, but that is not going to happen soon.

I decided to install some limiting straps for now, as the Beetle has the stock suspension, which I'd like to keep.

Do I have these on the correct side of the shocks...it seems like it is the best way to install them (at least for this type of basic strap).  They are 14-inch straps, which will stop the shock at around 1.5 inches short of full extension.  Here are some iPhone photos:

« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 01:23:50 PM by neil68 »
Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle 2332 cc
12.6 sec at 109 mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF2gCti3dro

Offline Chris

• Car.
Re: Shock Absorber Limiting Straps
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 11:37:41 PM »
Ya, you want to keep the shocks in the stock position to maintain correct geometry. Just make sure you're using proper grade hardware if and when you need to extend for proper fit

Offline neil68

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 11:37:19 AM »
The straps worked well at 14" (no shortening required). I raced at Rimbey's new NHRA track on Saturday, and there was no more tire rubbing on the front fenders (when letting up at the end of the race)!
Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle 2332 cc
12.6 sec at 109 mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF2gCti3dro

Offline Atomwerk

• AirSpeed Forum Member
    • Atomwerk
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 09:58:13 PM »
If your rear end is lowered by simply reindexing your factory spring plates then the reason that it raises so high is because the spring plate is articulating farther away from the lower hard stop in the torsion housing during normal driving. In other words your suspension has more downward travel than it should have. Placing limiting straps in one way to limit the down travel, however a properly engineered drop plate will also restore the factory spring plate travel but will also restore the factory torsion or firmness.
Lower or raise your air-cooled VW the right way!