Author Topic: 3 spoke standard steering wheels issue  (Read 1146 times)

Offline sdeschutter

• AirSpeed Forum Member
3 spoke standard steering wheels issue
« on: August 22, 2016, 10:58:52 PM »
This weekend I talk to a few of you about 3 spoke standard steering wheels. I thought I had it figured out until I got home. Why would I compare haha. Well I did when I got home from the show I decided to put my two 3 spokes side by side and start comparing. Check out the pictures. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2eqfm0ke7myf0vk/AAA_NpSWdpO4IAGP-1fjrzFja?dl=0.

The one on the right is from a March 55 and the left is from a Dec 54. This thread on the Samba http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=376387&highlight=steering+wheels, seems to indicate that the right wheel is a 56-59 and that the left is a 49-55. No doubt it is possible that the right wheel is from a 56-59 but I find it hard to believe. Look how all 3 wheels on the Samba seem more flat where as the 54 left picture of mine has a more dish shape to the entire wheel. Now when I look at all the standard wheels on the Samba I cant seem to find one like this. All splits and ovals seem to be more flat like the wheel on the right picture and on the samba. Im confused. Were there different manufactures of these steering wheels? Did 53 and 54 standards have different wheels then pre 53. The split at the show was a Hoffman 52 and that wheel was more flat like the wheel on the right. Maybe it was a Canadian custom thing cause the Samba link would probably not include Canadian customs/standards. Id really like to figure this out. Please chime in with any input you may have.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 06:41:28 AM by sdeschutter »
"HAVE ONE FOR THE DITCH"

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
Re: 3 spoke standard steering wheels issue
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 12:25:58 PM »
I've not seen the dished version before. Early beetle (splits for sure) didn't have that side curved tab to cancel the signal after you turned (non-cancelling I think they're called)
brian waz

Offline sdeschutter

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 07:53:31 PM »
"non-cancelling I think they're called" that's a good point! Going to have dig some more. I wanna know the year these wheels were for, if it was only for splits or in some cases early ovals. What year is you split Bwaz? Wasn't it one of the first to arrive in Canada?
"HAVE ONE FOR THE DITCH"

Offline Bruce

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 05:34:10 PM »
If the right wheel came on your Mar 55 car, VW didn't put it there.  The spline change to fine happened late in 57 model year for the std wheel. 
Afaik, semaphore cars did not get the canceling feature after a turn.  So that would again mean it's a later wheel.

As for the offset of the outer rim to the center hub, your measurement is slight.  It could have been bent that way after it was delivered.  Or maybe VW changed the design a bit.  I measured my 3 spoke wheel like you did and it's 20mm.

My wheel is a coarse spline, with the signal canceler, round rim profile.  The guy I got it from said it was from a 56 CDN std.

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 07:39:45 AM »
If the right wheel came on your Mar 55 car, VW didn't put it there.  The spline change to fine happened late in 57 model year for the std wheel. 
Afaik, semaphore cars did not get the canceling feature after a turn.  So that would again mean it's a later wheel.

As for the offset of the outer rim to the center hub, your measurement is slight.  It could have been bent that way after it was delivered.  Or maybe VW changed the design a bit.  I measured my 3 spoke wheel like you did and it's 20mm.

My wheel is a coarse spline, with the signal canceler, round rim profile.  The guy I got it from said it was from a 56 CDN std.

Actually VW used the coarse spline up to at least 65 in standard beetles. I've had and worked on many 65 Beetles with it.

Offline sdeschutter

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 10:09:34 AM »
Here are some pics of the 24 spline the early wheel and the markings. I have no idea what these mean. First pic seems to show a steering wheel logo with something that looks like a less then sign underneath. Second pic shows a 6BG. Anyone know what these might mean?

The other day I was looking at progressive refinements on the Samba and I swear the site said that VW switched to coarse spline in August 55. That makes sense because in 55 is when VW switched to manufacturing of next years cars to 6 months before their release. I was wrong on the March 55 that was the body. When I check the numbers on the pan it says August of 55. So I guess the steering would be a part of the chassis.

Need more info on the early wheel!
"HAVE ONE FOR THE DITCH"