Author Topic: Lowering the rear of a late bus.  (Read 2122 times)

Offline vw33

Lowering the rear of a late bus.
« on: May 02, 2016, 10:14:01 PM »
Hello I am having some trouble with lowering the rear of my late bus I have built 4.25 drop plates out of 1/2 inch plate steel and had them professionally welded. This has moved the rear wheels in a 1/2 inch on each side. Now it looks like my axles are too long I can barely get them in. There is no side to side play at all. Do I need to cut a 1/2 inch out of my axles ? . Any help would be great.  Thanks

Offline Chris

• Car.
Re: Lowering the rear of a late bus.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 07:51:16 AM »
Can you post some pics of your setup?

Offline westcoast-paul

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 11:48:22 AM »
just pull the CV joint out - no need to cut out 1/2 of your axle.

why didnt you get them welded offset like the WW horseshoe plates?

also - what size tires do you have on what O/S wheels?  there isnt a lot of room under the bay wheel well - so your offset is key.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 12:09:10 PM by westcoast-paul »

Offline vw33

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 06:40:26 PM »
Here is a pic of the rear plates I made. Thanks west coast Paul for the pic. And you are correct the rim offset is critical. And that's where I got screwed. Iam running porshe replica rims from Cip and a 185 65 r15.

Offline vw33

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 08:03:32 PM »
Here is a pic of the axle.

Offline westcoast-paul

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 09:40:18 AM »
i can't tell from those pictures.  are the drop plates offset?  do you have a pic of them not installed?

either way - i cant see how youd have an issue witht eh axle length. 

scenerio #1: not offset - your axle (CV's) would need to be stretched the thickness of the metal (1/2")
scenerio #2: offset thickness of the metal (1/2") - your axle (CV's) would be exactly the same as stock length
scenerio #3: offset more than the thickness of the metal (1/2") - your axle (CV's) need to be compressed the offset amount. 

There is quite a bit of room in CV's.  think offroad guys with 13" travel in the rear trailing arms.

i cannot see a scenario that you are not fine.  :13:

Offline westcoast-paul

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 09:41:14 AM »
and isnt that engine cradle from an early bay?  or is this a late split?

Offline vw33

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 09:32:20 PM »
Yes cenario #2. I made 3 pieces of 1/2 inch plate steel. Stacked them and drill them just like the ones from wagens west.  Then had them professionally welded together.  This has narrowed the rear track by 1/2 on both sides. Now I have the room to get the wheels inside the wheel well with a little room. By moving the hub assembly in 1/2 inch and upward by 4.5 inches this has left me with axles that are too long. . Thanks for your help .