Author Topic: 1979 Tin Top Kombi Bus Project  (Read 1642 times)

Offline kinggeorge13

• Whaddya mean I can't buy more buses?
1979 Tin Top Kombi Bus Project
« on: February 08, 2016, 09:28:29 AM »
All of my buses until now have been camperized/insulated.   My 'new' 1979 transporter bus (I assume it was still called a transporter in 1979 as it's all seats and nothing else, including a back 3 seater bench and middle 2 seater '2/3' bench) has nothing on the inside ceiling but the same tin that is on the outside (i.e. one layer of tin, both sides painted green)   I've noticed every day it's got significant condensation on the inside of the tin roof (ceiling).   I do understand why condensation gathers there, just like an uninsulated wall of a house but is this the norm?  For sure there is some dampness inside that i'm working on drying out but I don't think there is a ton.   

I'm just wondering if that is the norm or should the simple tin-tops be insulated up there and someone previously removed it?   I looked around the net a little and it was not super-obvious what it should be.

Thanks!
-George
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 07:14:05 AM by kinggeorge13 »
1975 Westy, Serenity
1975 Westy, Jack Sparrow
1979 Kombi, Pistachio
1979 Kombi, Oliver
1977 Tin top camper, Cosmos
1974 Westy, Garfield
1973 Tin top camper, Bart (now thinking he's 1976)
1974 gutted Riviera, Casper
1975 Westy, Stella
1979 Super Beetle, Penelope
1967 Fastback, Green Hornet

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
Re: Tin Top 1979 Bus (Transporter)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 10:01:46 AM »
Sounds like you've got yourself a Kombi, the first clue would be a 3 as the second number of the VIN, the M plate on top of the LH fresh air duct under the dash would answer all the questions for sure.

Bare metal usually attracts some condensation just from the humidity in the air, if you are getting a rainstorm in there you'll have to find out where the leaks are letting in the bonus water, it's likely hiding under a mat or something. Opening a few windows so the inside stays the same temp as the outside will help alot.

Kombi's were basically the stripper model with no interior finishing except a little headliner over the cab area, hardboard panels on the rear side walls or sidewalls and roof were available as an option but not any insulation.

Whatever you do fix all the leaks in the windows, doors and floors before insulating or you'll just trap what you are seeing now and cause more rust.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS