Author Topic: AVR Import Specialties (Abbotsford)  (Read 2288 times)

Offline CatfishCalhoun

AVR Import Specialties (Abbotsford)
« on: July 15, 2015, 09:22:02 AM »
I know they're a sponsor here but I don't see any service reviews or experience comments. Looking for feedback on AVR Import Specialties (Abbotsford) engine rebuilds and/or experiences using their services. Thanks.

Offline owdlvr

• Dave Hord
    • Classic Car Adventures
Re: AVR Import Specialties (Abbotsford)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 10:47:19 AM »
I met Art, Vic, Rob (and Brother's Gary and Lorne of GLI Autowerks) on the first Spring Thaw in 2009. It took almost the full three days for me to find out that the guys repairing everyone's aircooled VW and Porsche on the event happened to own a couple of shops out in the Valley. By the end of the event the brothers had earned one of our 'prestigious' awards for their actions throughout the weekend. That was my introduction to them. At the end of the event, I met up with them and explained that due to living in Squamish I had built my '69 beetle using parts from a local online parts house (who ships to my door). Figuring I should support those who supported me, I told them if we could work it out so it wasn't costing me more to buy from AVR I'd move my parts business over to them. It started as a business decision, but if I'm honest I now see the guys as friends first, and my parts supplier second.

Does that make anything more I say invalid? I dunno, decide for yourself. But I can call Rob up and simply say "hey, I need to redo the brakes on the '71", and he orders in everything I need without me having to click through 18 pages. If there's an option between okay/good/best parts, Rob either knows me well enough as a customer to order the correct part, or he calls me to double check. They'll order parts in, let me evaluate them at the shop (or occasionally my home), and if I'm not happy with them they'll take them back. A great example of this is the first time I "risked" an Empi crank. This was way back in 2010 when everyone was convinced they had to be s**t, but I wanted to see for myself. The guys ordered it in, and told me if I didn't want it it was no problem.

Countless times Art has taken me into the back to teach me an engine or transmission building technique I hadn't done before. I can't personally comment on his engine building and transmission building services (I do all my own work), but they've built engines and transmissions for lots of client cars who've gone on to do the Spring Thaw without any issues.

I suppose it's a little pointless for a good friend to post up a review of his buddies shop, but the honest truth is we became good friends because they were a fantastic parts supplier who took serious and genuine interest in my projects. Any of my friends who I've directed them to, have always come away happy.

-Dave
--
'71 Type 1 - Rally Car Project
'75 Type 1 - Heirloom
'95 F150 - Unfortunate daily driver...

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 11:07:50 AM »
they've always gone out of their way to help me when I needed something quick or after hours. Great bunch of guys
Brian
brian waz

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 11:07:58 PM »
i'm a little late to this party but i will echo the statements above...

avr has competitive pricing and stock a good selection of parts and are willing to do their best to get you what you need! they consistently support the scene and the community and are knowledgable, capable, and kind. plus...they are one of the last (if not the last) local vw stores that you can walk in to and see/touch/smell parts and grab a seat at the counter and read magazines and have a chat!

Offline LateBaySteve

• "Back in the Red Dog Saloon days, there was a sympathetic super mechanic named Muldoon"
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 12:42:55 AM »
I do have experience with their engine building service.
Art built my bus tranny in 2005, and my 2055cc Type4 engine in 2007. I'm very happy with both. With the engine, it wasn't just what they make is what you get. I was able specify bore, stroke, and whatever extras I wanted like a heavy-duty oil pump. He even did extras like taping in a fitting for an oil temp sender.
I have found all of the brothers to be very knowledgable and accommodating and I have learned a lot from them. I've been going there for bay and type3 parts since, well, I think it was 2004, and recently for my modern watercooled VW.
As for their GLI repair shop in Greendale (Chilliwack), my sister in-law used to bring her Mk4 golf to them and not being a car person, she was very happy with their service.
My old neighbour Aaron Remple used to bring his cars to their Dad's shop (that I belive the older brothers worked at) in the 80's. So there is a good history of service there.
There are obviouly lots of parts dealers out their, but AVR is much more than just a retail experience. If you take the approach that each dollar you spend casts a vote for the kind of world you want to live in, well, I want to live in a world that includes AVR. So I'm happy to spend my dollars there.
'58 Dove Blue Bus (awaiting papers)
'71 parts Bus
'72 tin top Bus (soon for sale)
'74 tin top Bus rust bucket
'75 Westfalia (awaiting papers)
'77 project Bus
'77 parts Bus
'78 Westfalia (awaiting papers)

Offline buggy1

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 07:50:06 AM »
My favorite service at the shop is the husband daycare, my wife drops me off when she goes shopping! I get to b.s. And drink coffee while she gets pain free shopping without me! Win,win all the way around!
Andy
'65 buggy
'58 baja in progress
Sunset Buggy Club