Author Topic: CV boot replacement help/tips  (Read 1537 times)

Offline daninvan

• AirSpeed Forum Member
CV boot replacement help/tips
« on: July 02, 2015, 02:47:50 PM »
hi all,

So I'm doing the ball joints on my bus, and I need to separate the torsion arms from the knuckle.
What the best way to do this?

I'd rent a tool, but there doesn't appear to be much choice in Vancouver.
I have all the other tools to finish the job, just can't get past the torsion arms.

Thanks all!

« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 09:11:34 AM by daninvan »
71 Campmobile

Offline pittwagen

Re: Ball joint replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 06:51:55 PM »
Did the boots on mine. Pickle fork and a good wack on the casting and they poped right out.  Didn't need the fancy ball joint tool.  Princess Auto has both for a decent price.

Offline daninvan

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Re: Ball joint replacement
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 11:06:48 PM »
Thanks! I did the same and it worked the trick.

Any tips on changing the CV boots?

Thanks again!

Dan
71 Campmobile

Offline pittwagen

Re: CV boot replacement help/tips
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 11:32:05 AM »
The trick is trying to find decent CV boots.  CIP and Lordco sell the same boots with flange attached.  I like the clamps better on the CIP boots but their kit doesn't come with new bolts.  If your bolts are in good shape and you use the correct drive to remove them you shouldn't need new bolts.  You might want to tape the splines to avoid cutting the boot.  Follow the instructions in the Bentley.  I did one axle about 2 months ago and everything is fine - new Lobro cv's and new boots.  Other side is not giving me any trouble so I will leave well enough alone. 

Oh and the old boot rubber is the same as the CIP/Lordco new ones and the boots and both sides were just fine.  I have had my bus for 5.5 years and they had been on there for some time before I bought the bus. 

Offline daninvan

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Re: CV boot replacement help/tips
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 07:25:35 PM »
The cv's are done, packed and ready to be installed. On taking apart the left outer cv joint, I found a broken cage. I ordered the "German lobro" from cip1, what a piece of junk. The fit was terrible, and the inner nut didn't fit on my driveshaft. I ordered the correct one, but I was disappointed with the product. I assembled it several times, and check with a friend who is well versed in VW. It was junk. I used the cage in my old one, and it all fit beautifully. Anyone else had issues with Cip1? I thought their stuff wasn't bad, but the past few things I've ordered have been cheap in quality.

71 Campmobile