Author Topic: Lowering the rear of a late bus.  (Read 1859 times)

Offline vw33

Lowering the rear of a late bus.
« on: June 28, 2015, 10:35:56 AM »
Hello I am kind new to this aircooled stuff. I am trying to lower a late bus. I have installed horseshoe plates or boomarang plates to get the ass a little lower. Problem is the wheel well clearance is super tight. Am I missing something? Do I need offset spring plates To get the tires on?. I would like to run a 185/60R15 tire but cant even get the stock steel rim with 185 70R 14 to go on. thanks for any help.

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Re: Lowering the rear of a late bus.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 12:02:52 PM »
First thug to do is unbolt your lower shock to see if it's that.. If so you can usually pry down as you put the wheel on. I sometimes notch the bottom of the spring plate to let them drop a little further.

A larger wheel diameter with lower profile tire is sometimes easier to get on

Offline vw33

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 10:22:25 PM »
Thank you for the tip. Right now the spring plate is resting on its bottom stop. So how much do you knotch it and can I ask you what 15 inch tire would you recommend? I bought a set of 15 inch porshe replica wheels from cip.or at least that's the plan???.cheers Ken.

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 12:46:41 PM »
Usually a 1/2 notch is plenty. Depending on the wheel offset you run I'd think you would be ok with 195-60-15 or around that. I've run all kinds of wheel diameters and tire sizes up to 8" wide on the rear of a late bus. All depends on your offset, adapter thickness or if you re drilled the rear hubs.

Offline vw33

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 09:45:40 PM »
Thanks for the help. I will try notching the bottom of the spring plates( do you notch them with an an angle grinder?). As for the tire size I tried a 195 60 On my bus when it was at stock height and I couldn't get them to clear( too wide of a sidewall). A buddy works at a tire shop and he is going to hook me up with a 185 60 and a 195 70. Hope I can squeeze one of those under the old girl. I really appreciate your help.  Cheers .

Offline westcoast-paul

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 01:52:42 PM »
i took an angle grinder to the lower spring plate perch (part it rests on fully unloaded) and cut it flush.

see that little lip at the bottom?  grind that off and you'll get another~1"

I am also running adjustable spring plates.  jack it up and the wheel lowers right down for easy removal, etc.

Offline vw33

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 09:00:53 AM »
Thanks for your help Westcoast Paul.  I will give it a try and grind off that little nub. Can I ask where you got your offset spring plates and do they narrow the rear at all? I could use a little bit more clearance in the rear fenders. Cheers

Offline vw33

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 07:15:26 AM »
 I notched the spring plate a 1/2 inch and it worked great. Now I have lots of room to get the tires off and on. Going to run the 185 60 r15. The 195 are just too wide! Thanks again for the help. Cheers Ken.