Author Topic: !%!*$! Metric Studs!  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Boost_Retard

!%!*$! Metric Studs!
« on: December 10, 2005, 05:13:09 PM »
OK! SO after driving to 8 yes 8 shops..serching for a metric drill bit that would allow me to drill out my adaptor plates and install my new empi style studs...the peices that airspeed sell (very nice by the way)
i came up with NOTHING..biggest metric bit i could get was 13mm at KMS tools...BAH!
ANYHOW...back to mapleridge i go...into lordco again...new guy pulls out the charts and sasy 9/16 will do the job. but they dont have one...back to canadian tire (evilstore) and get the last bit they have..
4 hours later back at the shop..drilled out my adaptor plates (1/2\" plate steel) go to suck the stud in with a nut...no go...ruined new lug nut (left old one at home)
slaped plate and stud into big ass press...no go... goes in a wee bit but it feels like something is gonna break if i give it any more.

what do all you guys who have installed these studs..use to drill out your lug threads!?! and more important..where on earth did you buy it!?!

any info might actually lead to me getting this done tomorow and shipping off my baja to UPMs...otherwise its another weekend.

thanks
Cale

Offline Tom H.

• http://home.att.net/~drsowatt/index.html
!%!*$! Metric Studs!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 06:12:25 PM »
get an accurate measuring device and check the o.d. of the knurl and post it. I have several reamers I picked up from Boeing surplus just for studs.

And I'll be up next weekend.........

Offline Boost_Retard

!%!*$! Metric Studs!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 09:15:43 PM »
Sweet thanks.. I might have them done at a machine shop before then..but i will take you up on the offer if not!
i will get an exact # in the morning.

thanks again
Cale

Offline Bruce

!%!*$! Metric Studs!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 02:46:45 AM »
You are right, a 9/16\" drill is too small.
The last hubs I had studded were done by Cameron.  What he does is to drill them out to 9/16\", then turn the splines down a tiny bit so they fit.  
I think you will need at least 14.5mm without turning the splines.  9/16\" = 14.29mm

Offline Boost_Retard

!%!*$! Metric Studs!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 07:56:56 AM »
yeah bruce i agree with you.

i had one stud 1/4 pressed in then decided to back it out a...you could see by the cut marks left in the adaptor that the studs were trying to move a 2 much metal.

as un accurate as it sounds...i wonder if i could use some kinda flapper wheel on a die grinder and polish out the holes a bit to get the room needed to press the studs in....

i really need to get these things done today...

Cale

Offline Bubba

!%!*$! Metric Studs!
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 08:35:24 AM »
Cale,

The last thing you want to do is potentially elongate those holes by grinding or flapper wheeling.  

You can probably get them in by heating the adapters to 300 F (no more) and chucking your studs in dry ice or liquid nitrogen.  Handling is a bit of a pain, but it can be done.  .021\" in not too much of an interference fit to cause any shouldering problems or cracking, unless you adapters are cast and full of porosity.

Csaba
« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 08:36:25 AM by Bubba »
64 Beetle
86 Nissan Multi
81 Rabbit
90 Malibu Euro F3
94 H-D FXDWG

Any country that protects rights of criminals over rights of honest citizens is not worth living in.

Offline Boost_Retard

!%!*$! Metric Studs!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 10:55:00 AM »
Dry ice might be hard to come by...but an oven and a freezer aint...

the plates are 1/2\" mild steel...they wont crack..im gonna give that a try...

thanks
Cale

Offline Bruce

!%!*$! Metric Studs!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 12:36:40 PM »
I wouldn't do it.  I've seen several drive flanges that were cracked by too much interference.  A bigger drill, or turn down the splines.

Offline Boost_Retard

!%!*$! Metric Studs!
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005, 12:42:13 PM »
LOL well i gave it a shot...and it aint gonna work unless i can bolt this vice down in my kitchen some how..

damn near cooked my fingers off also :)

this aint a one man job..its gonna have 2 wait a bit..dont think its gonna happen today :( Ohh well to the machine shop tomorow...for the money i spent on bits and driving around i coulda paid for the machine work already!

it was a PITA to get the adaptor plate 100% square in the drill press to drill out the lug bolt threads..whats a good way to drill out a perfect pattern? im sure its right on the money.but it took longer than i thought it would.

Cale

Offline Boost_Retard

!%!*$! Metric Studs!
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 05:30:14 PM »
Oh yeah baby, dropped off my adaptors and studs at my friendly local machine shop at around 3:30
got a call at 4:25.. they had been drilled to size and studs pressed in.. 20 BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thats less than the gas i burnt lookin for a friggin drill bit...not to mention the entire day from Hell..and then a 25 dollar drill bit that was the wrong size!!!!!!!!!

MAN! cant beat a machinest whos first car was a split window!

never again am i gonna waste my time doing stuff like this myself.

Cale