Author Topic: non acvw...Golf wipers question???  (Read 1000 times)

Offline egspot

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/egspot
non acvw...Golf wipers question???
« on: January 15, 2010, 03:06:26 PM »

Wipers quit on my 99 Golf.

I am in Vancouver and trying to figure out what to look for?

When switch turned on there is a noice as trying to go but they do not move. I figure it may be a mechanical issue with the assembly or worse the motor. In Vancouver there is one thing we need...wipers.

Any ideas?

Offline Trevor P

Re: non acvw...Golf wipers question???
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 03:56:23 PM »
The wiper linkage (transmission) that the motor bolts to is likely seized in the pivots. Very common on Mk4's ( I assume it's a late '99) .
'53 Barndoor single cab
'57 Cal-look oval 2332cc / Berg 5
'70 911T

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 04:06:18 PM »
Mk III or Mk IV?  Could be either in a 99.  If the motor is making some noise (trying to work but no action), it could be the linkage.  Just went through this on my Dodge.  A few bushings and I was back in business.

Both need the wiper arms off and then the rain tray removed to check the linkage.  MK III is a little easier to get at I think.  Work from a corner on the tray and don't pry against the glass.  After the tray is off try and reach in to check the linkage.  If it is loose enough it could bind up and you should be able to feel that.

Some blue sky here in the burbs (G. E. bridge) so maybe you can make it home without needing the wipers.  Better driving in the daylight without wipers in any event.

The Vortex is full of how to's.  Good luck.

Offline egspot

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/egspot
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 11:01:57 PM »

Thanks guys.

It turn out to be the linkage. I took it to a guy that know this cars like the back of his hand.

Apparently when the blades are frozen on the wind shield and you turn on the wipers, the linkage can get loosen up and work its self out while being used.