Author Topic: Serpentine belt  (Read 2523 times)

Offline spindle3

Serpentine belt
« on: May 13, 2014, 06:39:08 PM »
 Hello all; I'm thinking about getting a serpentine belt system for my 1641 beetle.  Anyone recommend either Scat, Bugpack or Empi ?

Offline mitchy965

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Re: Serpentine belt
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 09:03:32 PM »
don't recommend any manufacture and still don't see the need for this product (unless its a bling contest) sorry.
1991 964 turbo- 1967 2007cc beetle-01 95" wideglide-2276cc turbo drag bug

Offline Hansk

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 02:12:09 AM »
don't recommend any manufacture and still don't see the need for this product (unless its a bling contest) sorry.

Agreed  , save your money(and your fan) , stay away from these things.
Big fat black fastback

Offline spindle3

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 08:39:31 AM »
 Ok, thx.

Offline owdlvr

• Dave Hord
    • Classic Car Adventures
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 01:20:31 PM »

Agreed  , save your money(and your fan) , stay away from these things.

Assuming one installs a quality welded fan at the same time, they aren't a problem. With a quality welded fan they offer less belt wear and easier tension adjustments. Had my serpentine setup on an engine that regularly went to 7500rpm with no problems. Well, okay no problems related to the belt setup. I ran one on the high-revving engine because I didn't want the fan drive slipping. I'd be running now on my dry-sumped engine, to correct the fan ratio, if I could get one.
--
'71 Type 1 - Rally Car Project
'75 Type 1 - Heirloom
'95 F150 - Unfortunate daily driver...

Offline josh

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 07:46:05 PM »
But how many times will even a welded fan take it? Belt slip is a good thing! a stock sized crank/alt pulley ratio is what? 2.5:1?? Just a wild guess.... so at 7500rpm the fan is turning almost 19,000 RPM if a serp belt indeed doesnt slip :c029: :c029: :c029: I doubt the fan is efficient at ludacris speed? I bet it is cavitating like a mofo!

I just read a post the other day where a guy some how sets his up to slip like a stocker....not sure how?
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 08:12:33 PM »
Indeed, why reinvent a system when an office tower full of white lab coated pocket protector wearing meticulous German engineers already figured it out 50 years ago? Not only is it super simple, it incorporates built in safety reliefs that you likely didn't even notice. How much time do you really spend at those revs that it won't cool off 2-3 seconds later when you let off and the fan catches up when the OG belt grips again? Seems to me the only thing a serpentine system is good for (aside from bling) is if you are driving a supercharger and A/C pump plus bonus alternators over and above the regular accessories. Why make things complicated?, not everything you read in a flashy magazine is really what you need ;)
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline owdlvr

• Dave Hord
    • Classic Car Adventures
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 08:35:49 PM »
Well if everyone ran under the theory that the German engineers did it best, we'd all still be driving bone stock splits with 36hp. I, on the other hand, am quite happy with the suspension, engine, interior, safety and other improvements I've made over the engineers in '71.

But to each his own.

I do agree, however, that at high RPM's the stock fan has to be cavitating like made, fortunately I was only spiking the RPMS to those levels (most of the time). But regular driving on the old high-revving motor meant cruising at 5500-6500 rpm, which means a stock fan belt setup is slipping so much you cook belts in short order. Who knows what kind of airflow the heads were getting?!

-Dave
--
'71 Type 1 - Rally Car Project
'75 Type 1 - Heirloom
'95 F150 - Unfortunate daily driver...

Offline mitchy965

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 08:58:27 PM »
well i have spun my engines up there as well and usually replace my belt cause it old and rotten not cause its been cooked,i like the fact that it slips(a little) for the same reason josh stated. it really comes down to what you want to spend your $s on. i never thought it was hard to tension a type 1 fan belt and have no belt flinging issues so i spent my cash elsewhere. 2 each their own  :victory:  and Dave.... your car is outstanding.

Offline Hansk

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 01:47:18 AM »
http://www.offroadvw.net/tech/wes/fan.html

A very interesting article about our cooling fans disproving myths such as cavitation.
Also showing that increasing fan speed does not equally increase cooling and that the power
required to turn a fan faster multiplies incredibly .   The last sentence at the bottom says it all.
Big fat black fastback

Offline mitchy965

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 12:35:21 PM »
what an excellent link Hansk!!! sorta what i thought, its a simple, self regulating system that once properly installed rarely gives trouble or costs much even when taken (way) beyond its original design intents. there are weaker links to attend to....

Offline Hansk

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 07:54:29 AM »
Ya , when I first read this a few years ago I realized that I would be wasting my time trying to make more power at higher RPM's in my type 3.  With the fan bolted directly to the crank , there is no belt slip and no temporarily disconnecting it , just multiplying power loss as the rpm's increase .
Big fat black fastback