Author Topic: Generator question  (Read 2155 times)

Offline Richard Kuczko

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Generator question
« on: December 27, 2013, 02:57:18 PM »
Been driving the 6v 59 beetle a lot lately.  And last night the car stalled out on me from a low idle.  When I tried to start it the battery died.  I put a new used gen in and polarized it and it seemed to work fine.  With the amount of driving we have done I would have figured that it would have charged the battery.  Is it possible that there is something that could drain the battery. It's a 1200. I'm going to pick up a charger and charge up the battery again and see what happens.  This did the exact thing to the last gen.  And now I'm confused what it could be. By the way I also put in a new regulator too
70 tintop kombi.  "Never 4 Sale!!!!"

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
Re: Generator question
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 05:13:25 PM »
Sounds to me like you should pick up a volt/OHM meter while you are out getting that charger. Then I'd be testing output voltages at the generator and between every connection between it and the battery to see if you are losing it somewhere. Don't forget the ground wires between the gen and reg as well as the trans and body too.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline Richard Kuczko

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 05:32:33 PM »
Ok. Will let you know. So do I check it rigt at the 2 wires coming out of the gen.   

Offline BUSDADDY

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 06:23:33 PM »
Got Bentley or a similar manual?, there's a few tests that can confirm if the generator is to blame or other parts of the system are the cause. Start with the full output test but do pay attention to the part where it says "only a few seconds and don't rev it" because you can F' up your generator doing it wrong, if that checks out OK move on to the regulator and the connections downstream leading to the battery.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline Richard Kuczko

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 10:40:25 AM »
Ok so here is what I found.  First off I noticed that green light on my dash is the oil pressure indicator and red is my gen light.  So from what I figured that is just a wire swap but the gen light doesn't come on at all anymore and it will flicker when I turn off the engine.  So I'm thinking it's either the regulator is gone or the gen needs to be polarized.  Any idea

Offline BUSDADDY

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 12:32:09 PM »
Lack of polarizing won't effect the light coming on when stopped, sounds like a regulator issue or some bad connections, does the light come on when you disconnect and ground the blue wire connected to terminal #61 on the regulator? If all that's working and there's still no output try polarizing.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline Richard Kuczko

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 01:17:21 PM »
When I disconnect the blue wire no light comes on. I will try the polor it up again and let you know.  So is the red light for oil and the green for gen.  Can I just switch those around

Offline Richard Kuczko

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 02:17:12 PM »
I tryed to polarize.  And noticed that the white wire is bare near the gen case.  Looks like it might be touching there.  Because when I put the negative to the white wire and the positive to the red nothing happens.  When I accidentally touched the ground to the gen housing the generator started to turn.  The generator has the old fabric looking insulators to the wire.  So could that be it. I don't have any indicators where the red wire goes on or the white of the regulator. Right now the white is close to the terminal where the blue wire is. 61 terminal

Offline Richard Kuczko

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 02:36:19 PM »
Here it is

Offline BUSDADDY

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 02:43:09 PM »
When I accidentally touched the ground to the gen housing the generator started to turn
Then it's now polarized, maybe you've got a wire in the wrong spot?

RUST NEVER SLEEPS