Author Topic: how correct is correct  (Read 3402 times)

Offline 52 split

how correct is correct
« on: March 08, 2009, 01:06:06 AM »
 hello all.  when doing a stock restoration is it a bad plan to powder coat the floor pan, front beam, engine tin, fuel tank.? gloss black pan or glossy paint in the fender wells. would points be deducted ,or would the car be poo pooed at shows because thats not how the factory did it.how about repo parts , oem parts do run out after 50 some years. does a 100 point car have to be all oem, sooner or later most resto cars will have to use some repo parts, bumpers , glass,dash parts ,etc, does anyone know whats ok and whats not cool to do. i do not like the idea of finishing my car and then spraying black under coat on everything. your thoughts would be welcome.  cheers

Offline 52 split

Re: how correct is correct
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 09:58:44 PM »
lots of views 53 ,but no replys, any of you guys that have gone to the classic or other shows done south whats the word on this topic. lanny ,bruce, geof???. someone must have an opion.  cheers

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 10:48:03 PM »
guess it depends on what your trying to achieve, its your car do it the way you want.

Offline nivag

• Gavin Lee
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 11:43:15 PM »
Chris is right: it all depends on your goal with the car. If your wanting a 100pt show car - that means all correct parts and finishes to original condition (including correct bolts, fabrics, etc...). Although there are very few shows in Canada if any that a judge would know what is correct on that car to that detail.

Don't get too hung up on it just build it and enjoy it cuz it's gonna be a bitchn car regardless...
My $.01 (reduced from $.02 due to recession)

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 08:41:09 AM »
Going for stock? then use as many original items as you can. Can't find them... then improvise. I don't know if using the same paint as the factory used on the pan makes you lose points at the "Big" shows... as long as it looks original. I'd be more concerned about replacement items, if you put new pan halves, (and want a stock look) then make sure it's done to original spec's. Welds and placement of items that don't look stock will drop points... if that's what you care about. I was always suprised how bad the luggage area can look on a 100% original car. The welds crappy and the actual metal kind of bent and looks like it was in an accident. There aren't many original untouched cars of that vintage, and most have either had rechroming or repainting done. Other than thickness and shape, a good reproduction bumper could pass as original. I always was of the mind to get the best I could, at that point in time. If I came across an NOS one at a reasonable price i'd replace the repro one. I guess you can pretty well get almost anything if you have the $$$. For it's faults, the Samba has a lot of knowledgable people who could tell you what was supposed to be correct from the factory. Just because a dealer put on heavy tar undercoating doesn't mean I'd want it on my car. Flat or glossy, find out which is right, don't like it... do what you want. It's your car and you're the only one who knows how much time, effort and money you want to make it original, or not. I spent a lot of time once on a bus that was getting pretty nice, and then got to the point I was concerned about the kids getting dirty shoes on the seats. I had to re-evalutate why I had it, and let that go. I didn't start driving into curbs, but it was way more fun not being stressed. Most times when someone builds a 100% show car, they don't keep it anyway. Sorry for the ramble!
brian waz

Offline steveo_32

• Gonna'own em all one day!
  • Waz up
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 09:27:19 PM »
Is it a trailer queen, Or are you going to drive it?

If you want to get a perfect restoration then paint all the items above.
If you want a well restored car, then powdercoating is a great way to go. the only nice thing about paint is when you scratch it or hit a speed bump, you can mask it and blend it and repaint it, Powder coating you can not.

I would say if I owned a 52 split, the amount of work to prep the pan and all the parts, I would use paint. My reasons are as follows

1) you can always fix paint

2) you can fill and block just like the factory did, even on the gas tanks

3) you still want it all bead blasted, Walnut shelled, ect. So the metal is all protected and primed, and filled, and re-primed and blocked and painted.

4) Buy the time you get a floor and all small parts drilled and re tapped its not far off you doing your own prep work and painting.

The only reason that this should not apply is you don't know how to paint at all, or you are on a buget.

If you have a good paint buddy, your alright.

The nice thing about powdercoat is that your get it sanded and you get it blasted, and pay the fellow extra to block the holes and buy a kick ass tap and die set, And watch all your small items for fitment issues. But you will be done alot quicker with powdercoat.

my .03 cents.
1958 Samba 23 Window
1963 Ghia
1965 type 3 wago
1971 KG14 convert
Looking for a barn find oval!! something un-screwed with(or split)

Offline 52 split

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 08:43:31 AM »
great thoughts guys, thanks bwas, steveo. no i do not want a trailer queen no fun in that, i want a driver most likely a fair weather driver.good plan on paint as that can be blocked out and be touched up at any time.not to sure about what one means by filled and primed, not filled with body filler i hope. do you mean high build primer for fill?   cheers

Offline 70's Looker

• More than a 70's Hooker!
  • what's this for?
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 10:45:19 AM »
why do people fear filler?
Zündfolge Car Club

Offline 52 split

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 07:11:53 PM »
i have had some bad luck with bondo in the past. i have seen the stuff shrink after a few years killing a nice paint job, also crack and some of it falling out even when applied to bare metal.maybe there is new stuff out now that is better. last time i played with the stuff was ten years ago. i would prefer replacing the metal better and using lead as a filler , that sticks real well to metal.

Offline 70's Looker

• what's this for?
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 08:12:02 PM »
ahh yes good ol lead, just do your research talk to as many body shops as you can....
Zündfolge Car Club

Offline josh

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 10:00:58 PM »
lead just slows you down.........before I ripped into it my car would of rivaled a '70's Lincon if it was leaded :o
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline Trevor P

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 11:24:40 AM »
Try finding a body man these days that will work with lead. Most of the old timers that used to have the skills to do this are long gone or unable to do it anymore (probably due to lead posioning).
'53 Barndoor single cab
'57 Cal-look oval 2332cc / Berg 5
'70 911T

Offline 70's Looker

• what's this for?
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 08:06:19 PM »
Try finding a body man these days that will work with lead. Most of the old timers that used to have the skills to do this are long gone or unable to do it anymore (probably due to lead posioning).

agreed! the ones who still can, can charge a nice penny to
Zündfolge Car Club

Offline 52 split

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 09:46:39 PM »
thanks all will keep fill to a min, if none at all. will get pics up when can

Offline steveo_32

• Gonna'own em all one day!
  • Waz up
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 06:29:42 PM »
All cars have filler and primer, your gas tank if sanded will lead to primer and the high and low spots were skimmed over with filler.

I have had many oval from 53 to 57 that were totally orig and filled all over under OE paint.

If you have a gas tank blasted and then powdercoated you will see all the imperfections of the metal, its just the way it is.
By using filler again and making area's smooth (in the correct places) you will match the O.E.

Im not saying your cheaping out at all, just there is a proper way and many variations around it.
Its all up to you.

just don't roller paint it with bbq paint. O0
1958 Samba 23 Window
1963 Ghia
1965 type 3 wago
1971 KG14 convert
Looking for a barn find oval!! something un-screwed with(or split)