Author Topic: Question About A Club.  (Read 8759 times)

Offline Mowser

• "You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. " Calvin
Question About A Club.
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2007, 11:53:40 PM »
I really don't think calling you a jackass was that bad.  Considering your comment and implications I stand by it.  Since you seem to like definitions here ya go.:

Jackass :A foolish or stupid person; a blockhead:  \"You've acted like an irrational jackass and it's time you stopped\"    (Margaret Truman).  

Do I think you are stupid?  No but do I think you were foolish in your comment.  DAMN SKIPPY!!!  

Honestly Kirin if and when I meet you in person again I'll likely no doubt walk right up to you and shake your hand.  I hold no grudges and water flows under my bridge very fast.  I do however have a short fuse when it comes to things I care about.
'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window

Offline kirin

Question About A Club.
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2007, 11:58:27 PM »
The DGLVK may not be \"your\" club however you certainly are a member of it. Being a public figure you can be expected to be identified with it, just as in this case.

The only difference in my definition is I deem a club to consist of more then 6 people. However thats strictly my opinion.

I do think before I respond thank you very much.

While not everybody in Victoria is in the VVWC they are bigger then the DGLVK. But this isn't a \"This club is better then that club\" discussion is it?
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Offline Chris

• Car.
Question About A Club.
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2007, 11:59:12 PM »
The expenditure of energy in this disagreement should be used on something actually productive like working on my beetle or helping a club out.
Feeling cornered again? This appears to be your standard response when it seems that you may have started something that you no longer want any part of.

Offline Chris

• Car.
Question About A Club.
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2007, 12:02:00 AM »
The DGLVK may not be "your" club however you certainly are a member of it. Being a public figure you can be expected to be identified with it, just as in this case.

The only difference in my definition is I deem a club to consist of more then 6 people. However thats strictly my opinion.

I do think before I respond thank you very much.

While not everybody in Victoria is in the VVWC they are bigger then the DGLVK. But this isn't a "This club is better then that club" discussion is it?
I dont recall being elected into office? What makes me a public figure?

Offline Mowser

• "You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. " Calvin
Question About A Club.
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2007, 12:03:23 AM »
Upon reading a few more lines on the definition I think I was point on Kirin:

jackass

noun

One deficient in judgment and good sense: ass, fool, idiot, imbecile, mooncalf, moron, nincompoop, ninny, nitwit, simple, simpleton, softhead, tomfool. Informal dope, gander, goose. Slang cretin, ding-dong, dip, goof, jerk, nerd, schmo, schmuck, turkey. See ability/inability.

Synonyms: bozo, cuckoo, fathead, goof, goofball, twat, zany, goose

In fact I would think I picked one of the nicest versions.
'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window

Offline kirin

Question About A Club.
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2007, 12:04:32 AM »
Mowser,
Yeah I'm concentrating a little to much on that fact. It was a easy point to jump up on a soapbox about. Hell I've called myself worse then a jackass. I agree that the comment was foolish and plead guilty. I can be pretty stupid for a smart kid. However Mr. Caswell will no doubt refute that :lol:
And honestly Mowser I have nothing against you. In fact I do owe you a beer I'm sure we will cross paths at some point during the summer.

I am my own worse enemy. And yes the comment was wrong.

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Question About A Club.
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2007, 12:10:12 AM »
mowser, as i see, called it as he saw it.

Theres actual local car clubs? :rolleyes:
that right there is a jackass statement.

without the 2 most noted clubs in town (dvkk & dglvk), there would be a hell of alot less going on. your post shows a lack of respect for their effort and hard work that goes towards putting on special events that \"everyone\" is more than welcome to be a part of. tisk tisk.

if you have an idea of the \"perfect vw club\", then quit talking about it and make it happen.

Offline kirin

Question About A Club.
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2007, 12:12:00 AM »
Oh yes Chris,
It is such a standard response. Its all I ever spew when I get cornered all so much. :rolleyes:
If I didn't want to be part of it don't you think I would just leave? That would be smarter albeit not nearly as much fun.

I know you aren't elected into public office. However I think(Emphasis on I here folks) that when you make yourself visible to group as a exclusive group of people you can expect commentary. Such as politicians, actors etc face. You may not like it however people will always be critical of you as long as your visible in public. If you disagree with this I'm sure I can find you a invisability cloak or something. I'll go dig something up from my closet.

Offline thrasherbill

• http://www.volksrods.com/id103.htm
Question About A Club.
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2007, 12:14:24 AM »
Damn my tongue hurts from biting it!

[size=8]Hey Matt, wanna start a club?[/size]  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :P

:rockon:  
Screw preservation... hand me that Sawzall!

CLICK.

Pinhead Lounge

Offline Chris

• Car.
Question About A Club.
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2007, 12:15:06 AM »
Oh yes Chris,
It is such a standard response. Its all I ever spew when I get cornered all so much. :rolleyes:
If I didn't want to be part of it don't you think I would just leave? That would be smarter albeit not nearly as much fun.

I know you aren't elected into public office. However I think(Emphasis on I here folks) that when you make yourself visible to group as a exclusive group of people you can expect commentary. Such as politicians, actors etc face. You may not like it however people will always be critical of you as long as your visible in public. If you disagree with this I'm sure I can find you a invisability cloak or something. I'll go dig something up from my closet.
People like you make me wonder why I try.

Offline kirin

Question About A Club.
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2007, 12:16:09 AM »
Silas,
I think thats the one part I know I can agree on. That was a Jackass statement. I plead guilty as charged. I've put my own individual effort into creating a club for everyone. I can tell you this, and this is my own mere opinion. That till there is some sort of united front it will be extremely difficult for such a club to survive. It just feels like there are too many cooks in the kitchen. I did my time and put my effort in with Kaferkraft(Not trying to beat on a dead horse now)

Offline moni

• http://www.texturedimpressions.com
Question About A Club.
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2007, 12:17:10 AM »
I dont recall being elected into office? What makes me a public figure?
cos you're the post-whore.  :lol:

as for kirin and this idea that a \"large\" club consists of more than six members, i say this: start your own. you want a big club? it's actually a lot easier than you think.

contact ClubVeeDub, they have chapters in most western canadian cities and i'm sure they'd love an upstart Vancouver club. the one in calgary, IIRC, has 100+ members who pay their $20 (or so) annual dues to be members of the club, which consists of stock/custom water and air. but, much like the situation outlined by danny above, they get about 10 people who show up at meetings all the time and do the work. so you'll have 100 to 200 cars cruising around with stickers on their rides, but a core group of people no larger than the existing clubs you're dissing-but-not-really-dissing.

there ya go, kirin, an easy solution to the problem you perceive with our VW community. i guess time will tell whether you put your money where your mouth is to \"fix it\" or are just posting this to complain.
Sometimes I get the feeling the whole world is against me, but deep down I know that's not true. Some smaller countries are neutral.

Matt

Question About A Club.
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2007, 03:25:34 AM »
Look at all the fun I miss when I go to bed early. Damn!!

I'm looking forward to yuor new club Kirin. Your 3 jackass core should make it quite the venture. and FTR, I laugh at you.

Offline egspot

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/egspot
Question About A Club.
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2007, 07:01:58 AM »
i think the problem with casual clubs, is *sometimes* there is a core group of people that do all the work, while other *members* just sort of loaf along.....
having a stricter entrance into the club allows clubs (like the dglvk) allows us to find the people that REALLY want to be in the club and help out
Sorry Guys, Did we just have a meeting and I slept true it?

ARE WE THE AIRSPEED CLUB OR SOMETHING? I know  hosting this site cost money and I have not ever dished out fees for it.

I agree with Danny as in most organizations, there is a handful that does most of the work and a whole bunch that just goes along for the ride.

For what is worth, I appreciate all the effort that the local club (as selective as they may appear with so few members) Hats off to them as they have organized the Western, the Classic and other activities during past yeas. I have been attending these activities well before I got back into the VW scene after 24 years without one.

I probably have differences with other people in many issues. However, I have never had any difficulties getting information, tickets, or invites to events from Chris, James, and the other members of The Club. As a matter of fact, I often wondered if there was any way I could help them because I have involvements with other groups and usually I am part of the handful doing the bulk of the work.

What really amazes me is, Club or no Club I have found great support from people I found on this site at the worst moments in my existence. When I was really down, i became the recipient of support and visits from Kirin. Silas, and Cameron. This was followed by mind blowing assistance by Hansk, and GMB whom both stept up to the plate on my behalf and took care of my stuff. Without this forum and the VW community, I would have been up the creek. So we don't have an official club but, don't doubt it, the common interest (forums, classifieds, etc.)  Shared here would by far live up to any club.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 07:02:57 AM by egspot »

Offline Chris

• Car.
Question About A Club.
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2007, 07:51:25 AM »
The operative word being \"community\", that it is something we are all apart of.

Offline kirin

Question About A Club.
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2007, 08:27:20 AM »
Matt,
Whether there is 3 or 6 person core does it really make a difference? The answer is no. However I know you better to think that was the only reason to post that.

My point of posting was not to announce \"I'm forming a Local Volkswagen community that everyone is invited out to\". It was however to mention a problem that I feel is not being met. As I've said before and I'll say it again I have no interest in trying to pioneer a club. I've been there, done that and it won't work. I could go into the reasons but that would be beating a dead horse. Needless to say for me being a good club core candidate I'm not one. My life situation is too unstable(I have no idea what I'm doing or where I will be next year). So really I am in no position to take on such a mission. Though after this thread you guys got me thinking..... That being said maybe one day there can be a Vancouver VW Club.  Who knows...

Offline steveo_32

• Gonna'own em all one day!
  • Waz up
Question About A Club.
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2007, 12:40:45 PM »
I have my own club, Its called STEVE willnevergetanyprojectsdone CLUB and so far it is working quite well!!
It is based on ME, I am the president and currently no members due to the five thousand dollers buy in towards my car............if anyone want to join just feel free to come on out and give me the money and leave in a appropriate manner. After my car is done the next member can get the president title and the member after that gives them FIVE THOUSAND Dollers......kinda like a pyrimid.......but legal.......not really thou.......
GO CAR CLUB STEVE!!!!!!! :D  
1958 Samba 23 Window
1963 Ghia
1965 type 3 wago
1971 KG14 convert
Looking for a barn find oval!! something un-screwed with(or split)

Offline egspot

Question About A Club.
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2007, 01:08:36 PM »
I have my own club, Its called STEVE willnevergetanyprojectsdone CLUB and so far it is working quite well!!
It is based on ME, I am the president and currently no members due to the five thousand dollers buy in towards my car............if anyone want to join just feel free to come on out and give me the money and leave in a appropriate manner. After my car is done the next member can get the president title and the member after that gives them FIVE THOUSAND Dollers......kinda like a pyrimid.......but legal.......not really thou.......
GO CAR CLUB STEVE!!!!!!! :D
I think the problem with you club is the Treasurer.  B)

The President seems to have a healthy vision for the future. However, The Treasurer does not seem to be able to secure the financing and the Project Manager is falling behind due to labour issues. :o  :angry:  [_[  -_-  :(  :blush:  :rockon:

Offline egspot

Question About A Club.
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2007, 01:09:31 PM »
:mellow:  
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 11:26:26 PM by egspot »

Offline notchback

Question About A Club.
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2007, 10:17:50 PM »
This thread is retarded!!!!!!!!!!
Bruce McCrindle
AIRCOOLED WERKS

New phone number above

Using nitrous is like having sex with a hot chick with an STD, you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences

Offline Mike Scott

Question About A Club.
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2007, 07:31:58 AM »

I agree, but its like nothing else in North America!

Offline steveo_32

• Gonna'own em all one day!
  • Waz up
Question About A Club.
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2007, 10:28:22 AM »
Its my favorite part when they go this far!!!

Lots of love from the hippy in the ridge!!
1958 Samba 23 Window
1963 Ghia
1965 type 3 wago
1971 KG14 convert
Looking for a barn find oval!! something un-screwed with(or split)

Offline AirCooledRules

Question About A Club.
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2007, 04:13:01 PM »
Thanks for the info, i decided to go a different route. This way it will be less complicated.
1960 Volkswagen Beetle

1975 Honda CB125S
1983 Audi UR-Quattro
1984 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI
1998 Audi A6

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Question About A Club.
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2007, 06:30:22 PM »
I agree, but its like nothing else in North America!
lmao...now that's comedy.

Offline Mike Scott

Question About A Club.
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2007, 07:48:13 PM »
Thanks for the info, i decided to go a different route. This way it will be less complicated.

Your welcome, anything we can do to help you out.

If youre going a different route, im curious as to your original idea? I think you should stick with it, especially if there is nothing like it in North America?  You gonna start driving on the wrong side of the road (I think this wouldnt work, but maybe if you could get everyone to switch at once)?  

Offline Bubba

Question About A Club.
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2007, 06:38:34 AM »
Your welcome, anything we can do to help you out.

If youre going a different route, im curious as to your original idea? I think you should stick with it, especially if there is nothing like it in North America?  You gonna start driving on the wrong side of the road (I think this wouldnt work, but maybe if you could get everyone to switch at once)?
Nothing like it in North America...hmmm...

I'm thinking maybe trucks and busses first :P  
64 Beetle
86 Nissan Multi
81 Rabbit
90 Malibu Euro F3
94 H-D FXDWG

Any country that protects rights of criminals over rights of honest citizens is not worth living in.

Matt

Question About A Club.
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2007, 07:51:11 PM »
that would make you...????????

Offline notchback

Question About A Club.
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2007, 08:52:51 PM »
Funny guy Matty
Bruce McCrindle
AIRCOOLED WERKS

New phone number above

Using nitrous is like having sex with a hot chick with an STD, you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences