Author Topic: Lowering A 66  (Read 1700 times)

Offline akf66

Lowering A 66
« on: December 11, 2005, 01:49:43 PM »
I have a 66 sunroof type 1.  It's now dropped 2\" with spindles up front and stock at the back.  I'd like to go lower on the front, maybe another 2\".  What's a good narrowed beam to go with that will still give me good drivability (tire fender clearance)?  Also, I'd like to drop the rear not more than a couple of inches.  What's the best (easiest) thing to do there?  What tire size should I be running with a set up like this?

thanks
Andre

Offline Stevie

Lowering A 66
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 07:07:42 PM »
airspeed carries some narrowed beams
or Pm James buchan he can narrow your stock beam, and put in adjusters.

2\" narrowed with welded in adjusters will give you the height you want, but 3\" narowed you have to modify the body slightly nothing odvious..

and tire size kind of depends on what your planning on doing are you looking for Good handeling or just a stock tire look??

a 185-65R15 will fit on a stock 4 1/2\" rim no problem and keep the overall height pretty close to stock + a little better grip.. if you get repro steel wheels or something more custom with a 5 1/2\" width you can probably go 205-60 or 205-55R15 max

and stock just a 165SR15 but depending on how low you go you might rub on the inner fenders and headlight bucket

20's SORTA FIT!!

63 Beetle

Offline Chris

• Car.
Lowering A 66
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 07:38:19 PM »
James no longer has the facilities to narrow beams, you will need to contact Airspeed!

Offline James Buchan

Lowering A 66
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 07:51:11 PM »
Yup - got a promotion, can't play in the shop anymore :(

Offline Chris

• Car.
Lowering A 66
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 07:53:52 PM »
Yup - got a promotion, can't play in the shop anymore :(
you suck.

Matt

Lowering A 66
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 09:29:11 PM »
I have a brand new 3\" narrowed beam with a narrowed sway bar. $450 for both pieces.

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Lowering A 66
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 12:32:22 AM »
2\" narrowed with welded in adjusters will give you the height you want, but 3\" narowed you have to modify the body slightly nothing odvious..

on a balljoint beam?? i could have sworn i heard someone somewhere going 3\"s and still clearing. the best way to find out would be to grab the old measureing stick.

and imho, it would be way better to modify the shock towers than hammer on the body.

andre...it sounds like you want the classic cal-look rake. 2\" or 3\" narrowed and adjustable beam, narrowed tie-rods, with your spindles, a set of caster shims, turn the torsion bars up an outside notch in the back, get some 135's or 145's for the front and some 205/70's for the back.

so...buy matts beam and sway bar, go to airspeed and get your narrowed tie-rods and caster shims and tires, and do this to the rear....

1. Take off the spring plate covers. (4) bolts on each one.
2. Undo the axle tube from the spring plates along with the lower shock bolts and let them hang (4) bolts per side,
3.disconnect the e brake cables.
4. pry the spring plates off the outer torsion bar splines and turn them up (I usually go 2 notches) then slide the springplates back on bolt it all back together and you're done.
You can do it from the inside splines or the outer but make sure you do both sides the same.

but it also depends on how you want the car to look. do you like big & little tires? do you like the look of a rake? are you running stock wheels or something else?

good luck and be sure to ask for help if you're stuck. it works for me.  ;)  

Offline Stevie

Lowering A 66
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 02:10:57 PM »
on a balljoint beam?? i could have sworn i heard someone somewhere going 3\"s and still clearing. the best way to find out would be to grab the old measureing stick.

and imho, it would be way better to modify the shock towers than hammer on the body.

well i had to modify on my 73 so i'm not quite sure on a 66, it could fit, best way is to try it..

but i used the grinder, not a hammer  :wacko:

20's SORTA FIT!!

63 Beetle

Offline James Buchan

Lowering A 66
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 02:17:21 PM »
Every car is different - I have a 2\" on my 66 and it was tight, a 3\" I would have had to mod it slightly.