Author Topic: lowering IRS suspension standard beetle  (Read 4723 times)

Offline jay5

• AirSpeed Forum Member
lowering IRS suspension standard beetle
« on: April 16, 2014, 09:19:31 AM »
before i dive head first into this. i've read the sticky on the samba and read this http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=78303 (great how too)

just want to know anyone on board who has ran this setup or tried on an IRS suspension. my rear wheel setup is 15x8 4" backspacing. (just got some steelies widened) for tires I'm running 205/50/15.

for the front its 15x4 w/ 165/45/15 adjustable beam (soon) and narrowed 4" (soon)

i know i've gonna need camber, also i do know with IRS you can't achieve as much camber as a swing axle. obviously i don't want to go crazy on the camber. if this doesn't pan out going back to stock.
i do know that i've going to have to cut or roll fenders or maybe buy widen fenders.

is there any other issues that i'am going to run into ?

any help would be appreciated !

Offline Hansk

Re: lowering IRS suspension standard beetle
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 11:09:36 AM »
Aussie guy seems to have it covered pretty good.  Not so sure about what he says at the end about lifting the trailing arm a little before tightening the spring plate bolts to affect camber though. I don't see this having any affect on camber.   And just to be clear , camber is not in it self adjustable on irs or swing .  Camber does change from positive to negative as the suspension goes up and down  through its range of motion , a little on irs and a lot on swing cars. So as you lower your irs car , you will get a little more neg camber at your new ride height . You are adjusting your ride height not your camber , the camber change comes along automatically with it . Hope that makes any sense.
Big fat black fastback

Offline jay5

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 05:46:01 PM »
Aussie guy seems to have it covered pretty good.  Not so sure about what he says at the end about lifting the trailing arm a little before tightening the spring plate bolts to affect camber though. I don't see this having any affect on camber.   And just to be clear , camber is not in it self adjustable on irs or swing .  Camber does change from positive to negative as the suspension goes up and down  through its range of motion , a little on irs and a lot on swing cars. So as you lower your irs car , you will get a little more neg camber at your new ride height . You are adjusting your ride height not your camber , the camber change comes along automatically with it . Hope that makes any sense.

ya totally makes sense.  :D

just wondering if anyone have ran that rear setup or know of anyone.

Offline Hansk

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 10:25:19 AM »
Sorry , I think I misunderstood your question .  Your wondering about running 15x8's when lowered ?  I would think that if the rims will fit and clear everything now at stock height you should be fine after lowering too.  I have 15x8's with 205/50's on my type 3 with early beetle short swing axles and just had to clearance the bump stop a little.  The original owner of my wheels(some 30 years ago) had them on a lowered irs beetle with stock fenders with out clearancing . But for sure double check everything . 
Big fat black fastback

Offline jay5

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 04:43:29 PM »
Alright so I've set the angle on the spring plate but now I can't get the bloody thing back on that little stop. I'm doing what aussieveedubber is doing raising the spring plate with angle iron got it pass that little stop but when I tap on it with a mallet it's not moving. Someone help...

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 04:52:23 PM »
there's teeth there that need to line up if you're trying to push it back in, at least with the swing axle there is???
brian waz

Offline jay5

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 05:31:28 PM »
there's teeth there that need to line up if you're trying to push it back in, at least with the swing axle there is???

I know there's slots/teeth the bushing I have those lined up as well..

Offline 52 split

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 11:06:17 PM »
if its up past the stop then you pound on it ,not tap.

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 12:03:06 AM »
^^What he said.

Shouldn't need much pre-load. Spring plate should almost slid right onto the little stop.
'59 Beetle
'59 Single Cab

Offline DanS

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 06:22:32 AM »
I would put the spring plate cap on and the plate will slide in place as you tighten the bolts on the cap.

Offline jay5

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 09:19:09 AM »
if its up past the stop then you pound on it ,not tap.

gonna give it a a try thanks !

^^What he said.

Shouldn't need much pre-load. Spring plate should almost slid right onto the little stop.

will do

I would put the spring plate cap on and the plate will slide in place as you tighten the bolts on the cap.

ill try this method also.

thanks for the advice yall !