Author Topic: Car Wont Turn Over  (Read 2730 times)

Russ

Car Wont Turn Over
« on: February 10, 2007, 04:38:06 PM »
ok we have been having a couple of issues with the 57 beetle.
Erin was driving the car and the car just died.
go to start the car the red and green light turn on but starter does not engage (nothing at all)
i thought it may be the ignition switch so i switched it out same thing happened the next day,it did not die this time just would not start both lights again light up but wont turn over.
so i bought an after market switch and same thing,so i think i can rule out the switch :D
when i go under the car and arc across the the starter terminals the solinoid spins then across the tab it turns over.
once it's turned over it starts (or at least seems to)
i will mention that it has an after market alarm installed basically i touch a flashing light on the dash with a magnetic looking thing then start the car.
i thought the alarm may be the problem but when i started to take it out i could not make the car run (i don't do electrical) the alarm was in the car when we bought it.
so it may be the alarm or the starter just not sure wich.
what would make the car stop while driving? i don't think the starter will do that am i correct?
any thoughts or suggestions
thanks russ

Offline James Buchan

Car Wont Turn Over
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 07:25:29 PM »
There is a wire going to your starter that pushes onto a spade terminal, take it off, clean it and make sure it is making a snug fit when it's on. Bet it will fix you right up.

Offline Bruce

Car Wont Turn Over
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 03:05:39 AM »

what would make the car stop while driving? i don't think the starter will do that am i correct?

If the car just dies while driving along, it isn't anything to do with the starter like you suspect.

If cleaning the contact James suggests doesn't do it, follow the rest of the path.  Take the starter off and sand the Mg case to bright metal where it contacts the starter.  Then remove the ground strap and sand the case and chassis where it contacts.  I like to glass bead blast the ground strap, they come out looking like new.  Also sand clean up the point where the neg strap from the battery contacts the grounding stud on the pan.

Your symptoms also suggest a faulty ign switch, but 3 switches being bad is a long shot.  Beware, oval switches are notoriously unreliable due to their age.

Offline James Buchan

Car Wont Turn Over
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 07:49:56 AM »
Oops I missed the while driving part...

Hey Russ, drop the car off at my place and I will try and track it down for ya... I'll just need to drive it for a couple weeks...  :blush:  

Russ

Car Wont Turn Over
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 08:33:42 AM »
thanks guys,
i'll try cleaning the contacts.
as for the switches the last switch i put in is an aftermarket one brand new.
it fits like crap anyways so i'll switch back.
evrytime it won't turn over i check and there is power to the switch.
i'm pretty confused i may have a friend help me pull the alarm out and see if it is the problem?

Offline dannyboy

Car Wont Turn Over
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 10:45:48 AM »
check how many volts are getting to the starter as you turn the switch... might be that wire has shorted on something....

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Car Wont Turn Over
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 06:36:50 PM »
This is a must-visit forum for all auto enthusiasts.

http://www.goeatabagofdicks.com

hey russ...any luck with the oval??

Russ

Car Wont Turn Over
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 06:48:28 PM »
ya i cleaned all the contacts and she seems to be pretty good :rockon:  

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Car Wont Turn Over
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 10:03:09 PM »
ya i cleaned all the contacts and she seems to be pretty good :rockon:
that's great news russ.