Author Topic: Dead Engine  (Read 1924 times)

Offline kubelguy

• The road to success is always under construction
Dead Engine
« on: December 03, 2006, 03:38:07 PM »
So im driving down the road and the engine just shuts off.
I pull over and the starter won't go.
The lights work,the horn works,the signals work

I find the ground wire is off the generator and put a new end on it and screw it bck on.
I checked the back of the regulator and the little fuse bar is in tact. I melted some brown wires under the dash sticking
my fingers up there and poking around.

I have power at the coil with the ignition on.

Any suggestions would be great.
'68 deluxe bus/sunroof
'57  beetle

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
Dead Engine
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 04:41:38 PM »
Did anything get dim or smoke when it died? My first guess would be something shorted out if you have cooked brown (ground) wires. How is the body to trans. ground strap?

When you try the starter with the lights on does everything go dark? click? anything?

Is the ignition wire to the coil, choke, cut off solenoid up near the top of the carb in it's clips or hanging down where it can rub on the throttle cable?
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline kubelguy

Dead Engine
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 05:26:06 PM »
Did anything get dim or smoke when it died? My first guess would be something shorted out if you have cooked brown (ground) wires. How is the body to trans. ground strap?

When you try the starter with the lights on does everything go dark? click? anything?

Is the ignition wire to the coil, choke, cut off solenoid up near the top of the carb in it's clips or hanging down where it can rub on the throttle cable?
nothing smoked or dimmed when it died.Iburnt wires shuffling them around and hitting the light switch with em with everything on.Theres is no click or dimming when i try to start with the lights on. Coil wires are clear and free of all linkage.
'68 deluxe bus/sunroof
'57  beetle

Offline kubelguy

Dead Engine
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 05:44:59 PM »
could it be inside the ignition switch?
'68 deluxe bus/sunroof
'57  beetle

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
Dead Engine
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 10:06:50 PM »
Sounds like it could be. Try blocking the wheels, putting the car in neutral and climbing under the right rear (I know that will be fun in the slush) and jumping from the battery terminal to the small spade terminal on the starter. If the starter works then unless you have a harness issue it wont hurt to try another switch, or at least have a real good look at all the wires to it.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS