Author Topic: Airspeed Facebook vs Website?  (Read 4084 times)

Offline 72vwtype2

• Phil
  • Still searching....1972 Single or Double Cab
Airspeed Facebook vs Website?
« on: January 29, 2019, 11:13:02 AM »
It appears as if this website is slowly fading off into the sunset........

I recently had to join Facebook (actually prior to Airspeed FB being closed to members only) in order to keep up with the on goings in our VW community. I found I was missing out on a lot of stuff. In the short time using AS Facebook I do not find it as intuitive or easy to use as the website. I find searching or just viewing information very challenging. I thought that perhaps I am just not a savvy FB user (which may be the case). However, in a recent conversation with another AS member it appears as if they have the same frustration.

What's the plan with this site and FB? Are they going to run concurrently or is FB going to take over? If this is the case I will need to sharpen my FB skills.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 01:01:31 PM by 72vwtype2 »
1958 deluxe Beetle (project in progress)

1972 Kombi
1964 Vespa 150

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
Re: Airspeed Facebook vs Website?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 02:51:02 PM »
I usually check on both sites. Facebook keeps changing... and you clean up things, refresh and all that clutter you hid comes back! Thought about dumping facebook recently, but have too many family members I keep in touch with there.
brian waz

Offline gsun

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 09:48:57 PM »
Completely agree. FB posts are only on top for a short while. If you don't check in several times a day, you miss stuff. The web site just hit the check new posts button and you get everything. I don't have the time or the interest in checking FB more than every month or so. But then, I'm over 12 years old.
9 years and counting....

Offline Brenticon

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 09:04:59 AM »
Most forums are suffering from this.
So many ppl looking for instant easy posting.
It will be sad if these type of sites fade off into the sunset.
I recently deleted FB as I spent too much of my time checking it to keep up to date.
Life's too short to have my face buried in a phone

ps: most young ppl don't have FB.

Offline Parts

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 02:55:46 PM »
I recently deleted FB as I spent too much of my time checking it to keep up to date.
Life's too short to have my face buried in a phone

Amen brother! I deleted FB last year, and don't miss it much. The forums are certainly less travelled these days, but oh well. I'm not going back. It would just angry up my blood too quick.
Forums forever!

Offline gsun

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 09:19:20 PM »
\

ps: most young ppl don't have FB.

Ok, Instagram. Same bullshit.
9 years and counting....

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 06:25:26 PM »
imo...the airspeed forum > the airspeed fb.

as is the case with most things in life, quality is more important than quantity. i find the content on the forums more helpful, interesting and knowledgeable than the content on fb. bwaz called some of the stuff on fb clutter, i sometimes refer to it as "noise".

however, we must respect the reach and response that is present with fb and also realize that there is space for both mediums (forums & fb) and that they both do certain things well, and other things not so well. i dont have a fb account but i use my girlfriend lori's account to lurk and see whats happening as well as post on the zundfolge car clubs page every once & awhile. i agree with brian, it's important to check both every so often to keep up with all that is happening. whether or not one wants to engage or participate by having a profile & posting is up to each individual!

chris c had posted in another thread that this is a free site (except for the odd person that chips in) and hopefully it is relatively easy to manage & maintain and will continue to be around for a long time to come!

i think the best thing we can do as members of this forum is chip in when funds allow (example, donate 10% of the profit of next item you sell in the classifieds to the site), thank the folks that keep the site operational (thanks y'all...you rock!!), tell everyone you know to visit/become a member/post on the asf...and...keep posting as much cool stuff here that you possibly can!!

long live the asf!!

:cool:

Offline Alp

• I’m not your type. I’m not inflatable.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 10:13:09 PM »
I agree with the rest of you guys.  I won't waste my time with Facebook groups.  Hate that you cannot easily see previous posts or ads.  It is okay for a quick fix but that's about it (along with messaging).

Offline berliner

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 05:47:56 PM »
I'm not on FB,so this site is it.I'm old and set in my ways.
what can possibly go wrong?                                                                     64ghia

Offline gsun

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 08:36:04 PM »
This also says something. 177 views and only 8 replies. People need to be giving input. The only way to have a good forum.
9 years and counting....

Offline Der Bugmeister

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 09:54:32 PM »
To be blunt, FB sucks for this sort of thing.  I won't be joining an airspeed fb page or group and up until now didn't even know it existed.  Likewise with other forums I'm in.  You'll find me in the forum, don't bother looking for me in the fb groups.

Offline Parts

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 08:38:09 AM »
To be blunt, FB sucks for this sort of thing.  I won't be joining an airspeed fb page or group and up until now didn't even know it existed.  Likewise with other forums I'm in.  You'll find me in the forum, don't bother looking for me in the fb groups.

And stay off my lawn, amirite?

Offline Brenticon

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 09:05:00 AM »
Hahahahahahaha, lol @ Mr. Bow Wow

Offline Der Bugmeister

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 01:54:44 PM »

And stay off my lawn, amirite?

Best place for donuts :-D

Offline splitwindowman

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 02:38:22 PM »
I'm not on FB and probably never will be. I hit a few Volkswagen sites for my VW fix and that's it. My time is too precious to be wasting it on social web sites.

Offline 72vwtype2

• Phil
  • Still searching....1972 Single or Double Cab
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 04:48:32 PM »
It is good too see that there are others with the same issues. Sadly the quick and easy option of FB means that good information that this site contains will slowly dwindle.
1958 deluxe Beetle (project in progress)

1972 Kombi
1964 Vespa 150

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2019, 09:22:36 PM »
The website world has changes much over the past few years. I intend to keep the site going as it has lots of info and local hisory of being able to help those within our community.

Offline gsun

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 05:10:25 PM »
One of the big problems with the web site is it's gotten to be mostly a buy/sell site. Nobody posts about builds, etc.
9 years and counting....

Offline kinggeorge13

• Whaddya mean I can't buy more buses?
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 08:09:46 PM »
I've been lazy and while I was messing around a little with Instagram this past couple months I've asked my wife a couple times in the past week or so "Why am I even doing this?".   I'm not trying to make money.  I'm not looking for sponsors (and would not get get one for my little world anyway).   It's very limited in what it can do and almost useless for teaching/learning and cannot look stuff up, minimal text.   I spend a few minutes every day looking to see how many "Likes" my last picture got.   WTF?     So I'm just about done with that.   

Facebook torments me.   For this kind of group,  IMHO it's useless for looking up info or people building a knowledge base.  Trying to find a response or post later is a giant pain and sometimes results in just plain failure.   But people do post stuff for sale or looking for things and it's at least somewhat useful for that (but even then, on a busy page good luck finding it days/weeks later).   Plus there is a very active Chilliwack page/group that posts on FB fairly often and it's fun dealing with folks who are active.

I think lots of people (including me, I admit) like feedback/attention when they post something.  It's kinda why things like Facebook and Instagram are so successful: they are tailored heavily for that.   People thrive on it.   On a very personal level, I do like writing about my projects, what I'm working on, posting photos on stuff I'm doing etc.   However sometimes if its on a platform where you  get little or no feedback, comments, questions, "Likes", etc, then it's natural to start to tire of doing it.   Sometimes you spend 10/15 minutes putting together and cropping/uploading a couple photos and writing 2 or 3 or 4 paragraphs and later you see a dozen or two dozen "reads" but no responses.   Maybe it was a boring post.   Maybe it's a site that is more Beetle oriented than Bus oriented or whatever.   

And lets mention the Elephant in the Room.  There is another site somewhat like this one that seems to be super-busy but is very US-centric and even other countries seem to use it a lot.  I do post there and pretty much whatever you post, it gets responses.   And searching for info and stuff for sale, it's a valuable resource.  Cannot ignore it. 

But personally I like this one (airspeedparts) for the fact that it is very Canadian and for me, it's also nice it seems very BC-Centric and being in Fort Langley, I like that too.   But that also limits it's reach/growth/posts, etc, I suppose.  But I like talking/writing with folks especially when many of them are fairly nearby.   I feel it's possible in my particular case I have lost that focus a little with that other site.

For now I think I'll drop Instagram as it's just a hollow well for me that I keep tossing crap into hoping to hear a splash and put my time back into posting on the Airspeedparts website.   My stuff being boring or not but it's mostly bus projects as an avid hobbiest (with a little Super-Beetle and Fastback story from time to time)

-George
1975 Westy, Serenity
1975 Westy, Jack Sparrow
1979 Kombi, Pistachio
1979 Kombi, Oliver
1977 Tin top camper, Cosmos
1974 Westy, Garfield
1973 Tin top camper, Bart (now thinking he's 1976)
1974 gutted Riviera, Casper
1975 Westy, Stella
1979 Super Beetle, Penelope
1967 Fastback, Green Hornet

Offline gsun

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 06:49:23 PM »
Well George, I read and enjoy all your posts. Maybe I should comment more often. I am amazed at the amount of work you do on your busses. And your daughter welds as well! Keep it up and finish one...
9 years and counting....

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2019, 07:23:34 AM »
interesting take on Facebook George. I read a lot of things, and suck all that information in hoping to use someone else's experience down the road. Why you need to reply, if you've got nothing to say... is more my philosophy. I've always built things for myself, not for someone else. I guess I'm not of that generation that needs feedback... and not often do I post a build on something unless i've learned something and want to pass it on. Again, i'm not of the generation that grew up on facebook, more a late to join type. A solid website, that allows you to easily find old posts and information is great, like the samba. It's really too big for a local VW Community, and the loss of old photos from photobucket or whatever is a shame, but i'm there, like here most days to look around. I love that the days of expensive long distance phone calls, letters with photos and money orders are long gone, though waiting for a newsletter in the mail with new classified ads was always a thrill.
brian waz

Offline Parts

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2019, 08:02:38 AM »
I 'member picking up a fresh "Buy, Sell, & Trade" to rifle through it and scope out the deals before anyone else got to them. Rarely worked out, but yeah, something about the waiting and the antici........

.......pation.

Offline buggy1

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2019, 08:22:57 AM »
Coming back to the website more often, it used to be my daily go to, but got pissed off with some in the community but I'm slowly coming back. Facebook is a quick and easy but this sites past posts have proved to be so helpful with past builds its like an old friend.
Let's hope that it keeps going and if it needs cash lets us all know.
Keep buggin, Andy
'65 buggy
'58 baja in progress
Sunset Buggy Club

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2019, 08:57:33 AM »
I’m weaning off Facebook. Too many changes, too many ads
brian waz