Author Topic: Brake ?  (Read 2542 times)

Russ

Brake ?
« on: January 29, 2004, 07:28:21 AM »
i adjusted the brakes on my oval about a month ago,the pedal all of a sudden seemed to drop almosat to the floor but would still stop.
so adjusted the brakes everything was great,it has only been about a month and the pedal all of a sudden has dropped again??
when i pump the brake it makes no difference(does not get hard)
i'll adjust it again this weekend,but does this sound like a bad master cyclinder? wheel cylinder?
thanks for any help
russ

Offline captCRUNCH

• http://
Brake ?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 08:38:57 AM »
may sound silly...but you got lots of fluid???

Russ

Brake ?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2004, 10:05:38 AM »
:)
i was thinking that after i posted this, i will check,if i'm down on fluid it has to be leaking somewhere?

Offline James Buchan

Brake ?
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2004, 10:16:37 AM »
I had a similar rpoblem with my s. beetle turned out the hard line that goes near the pedal assembly to the back of the car had sprung a leak (rusted out). Listen for a squishing noise when you depress the pedal.

Russ

Brake ?
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 12:04:10 PM »
will do,
thanks for the replies i'll check it out this weekend
russ

Stephan Schmidt

Brake ?
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 08:57:18 AM »
I had a similar rpoblem with my s. beetle turned out the hard line that goes near the pedal assembly to the back of the car had sprung a leak (rusted out). Listen for a squishing noise when you depress the pedal.
This was my problem in my 1967 beetle.  we would keep the fluids topped up but we would loose fluid all the time...no leak at the cylinders, under the car or near the MC.  what happened was the same thing that happened to james.  the hard line was indented and cracked, thus allowing fluid to leak out very slowly into the rear of the pan.  got the line replaced, bleed the brakes a few times. the end result was amazing!  we must have bleed the brakes about 4 times, tightening everything up...no leaks, and no air!

Good luck

Stephan