Author Topic: Jim Martin  (Read 163596 times)

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
Jim Martin
« on: January 14, 2004, 01:24:47 PM »
its nice too put a car too a name so here is some photos of my car in primer. earlier pictures ar during the 3 month shake down and test before finall disasembley for paint.seams too be the long way to do things ,but if your not in a rush its the best way.many unexpected things have popped up during those 3 months and i'm sure glad it wasn't painted .i've had the car over 23 years ,and in 1983 i chopped it 4 1/2 \" then ran the car hard each summer for3-4 years going through at least 2-3 engine combos a year.finally i just parked it as i was plagued with mechanical problems and was just sick of working on it ,so i wrote a note of everthing that needed inproving and repare ,tossed it on the passanger seat and parked it.in 2002 i lifted the cover and got rehooked again,so i took the note and went through everthing and came up with a plan .which pretty much meant picking up where i left off years earlier ,included this round -rechop body to 5 \"/fix everthing i hated/run to vw 2003 car show in coquitlam/run 70 hp shot of nitrous /and have fun doing it!made good on all items.car was run very hard for 3 months and held up very well.all work was performed by myself except for the body filler work and the rancho trans.thanks too all that helped with info or a hand when i needed it.I OWE YOU all  a ride in the spring of 2004 .
car runs a 2275 motor/5 speed trans/old school centre lines/cage and a glass nose [NOW CONVERTED TOO STEEL].see you on the streets in 2004 ,now i need to pick a colour?
jim martin,vancouver

engine area i like the old school look

shot at work , had too bring the car in that day as one tech challanged me to a race after hours,poor bastard another mazda goes down easy.

breaking in the motor on the test stand,a fresh motor always sounds good

its a shame too pull that motor out again
now i just need a colour?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 09:02:07 PM by jim martin »

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.830 sec at 143.44 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
Jim Martin
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 02:55:45 PM »
Nice Jim,
Car looks great B)

FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
Jim Martin
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 02:57:27 PM »
I just gotta learn how to post pictures now

FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Jim Martin
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 03:53:05 PM »
hey jim,

that is a great looking car. i've seen you cruising cambie street w/ a car seat and child in the back. damn... lucky kid.

i've got your # from a previous post, i'll call you soon, just super busy these days.

cheers

silas

Offline James Buchan

Jim Martin
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2004, 04:08:34 PM »
Lookin good Jim, Is that your shop with the hoist?

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
Jim Martin
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2004, 04:35:20 PM »
yes silas, thats me and my daughter ,she loves the 'white car' as she calls it .i just put earphones on her and she's good to go.i even let her push the nitrous button once.yes call me any time .
yes james that is the old alignment hoist i'm on at work .being foreman has it perks at times.
some pictures are at work and others are at my house,the one with the engine on the stand is during camshaft break in.that was a great day too hear another motor come too life!its been too long !!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 09:20:22 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline kombination

• http://mathilde.benzyne.com
Jim Martin
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2004, 09:58:21 PM »
Nice looking bug Jim.

kombination
www.mathilde.benzyne.com

mathilde
1959 2.0L Volkswagen Kombi Bus

Offline Hansk

Jim Martin
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2004, 11:00:52 PM »
Looking good Jim.  So was it an rx7?
Big fat black fastback

Offline silas

Jim Martin
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2004, 11:01:25 PM »
hey jim, i'll try and call you tomorrow eve. (thursday).

how about a medium blue metal-flake or metallic, like the colour of the lightning bug that the shley brothers used to run? i'll try and find a pic to post.

talk to you soon.

Offline silas

Jim Martin
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2004, 12:07:48 AM »
this pic doesnt really do the colour justice. but something like this.

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2004, 08:07:01 PM »
yes hansk it was a rx7,kind of funny he came too challange me on his day off.stayed a couple of hours for some bitch talk , then the next day my car was inside on the hoist all day ,and the poor bastard must of come and gone 4-5 times too go home and pull parts out of his car,he even removed the left and right door glass,he still can't believe it ,but he vows, now he has a mission too wip my car and has a lot of tricks,who cares!so do i.
this race was dubed the battle of  \"THE WOK\" VS \"THE BENTO BOX\"rice is easy to fry .yep silas the lightening bug is cool ,what ever colour i paint it it has to match a brick red interior,have lately been leaning towards black or polar silver .kind of funny the whole time during construction i never even thought about colour?

Dialedinp

Offline Hansk

Jim Martin
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2004, 12:49:45 AM »
HA HA!!!! Right on Jim!   I guess thats been the thing all
these years, how people so completely underestimate the
performance potential of a little old VW, and then are so
completely devastated when it happens to them.

Maybe our little old VW performance industry is directly
responsible for the performance industry of many other
types of cars......hmmmmm?
Big fat black fastback

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2004, 07:43:21 PM »
you know what happens is people who don't know, or think they know something about performance.figure it's a v8 so i will chuck some headers and a 4 barrel on it's the fastest  thing out there, or in the newer cases i will put a big 4\" muffler and a whale tail and watchout .but they have no idea about the basics-first being power to weight ratio,thats why its so easy too pull the majority of old american muscle cars ,and with  rice rockets they simply have no torque ,most people's idea of a vw is slow as well as the driver is stoned to the bejesusbelt.well the second might still be true with some .this summer i had the privalage of showing up many vehicles ,some got beat so bad they would rather turn off a street early so they would not have too pull up beside you at the next light.next year my racing will be at the track.now i need a new truck/trailer/paint
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 01:09:30 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline Pipes

• http://
Jim Martin
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2004, 11:07:19 AM »
OH WOW!  Your car is sooo close to perfectly what I want!

Just sooo awesome.  As far as a colour suggestion goes.  If it was mine, it'd be black with blue ghosted flames, or thin silver flames...  If I've ever seen a bug that deserves flames, thats the one...  :rockon:   Awesome work! I hope to see in on the road soon!
Trying for low, show & go

1967 Beetle

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2004, 07:36:16 PM »
thanks for the thumbs-up pipes!

Dialedinp

Stephan Schmidt

Jim Martin
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2004, 04:19:09 PM »
nice ride!

are you going to be running it this year?

stephan

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2004, 08:12:04 PM »
for sure it will run again this summer,i will start working on it in feburary,sorry sking still comes first in this house. the plan is too be a regular at the friday drags at mission.i'm addicted too the big blue bottle ,again!!.
also those small brown ones are nice too!

Dialedinp

Offline OUTKAST

Jim Martin
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2004, 02:59:36 AM »
THE LOOK OF THE CAR FROM THE REAR WITH THE MOTOR LOOKS GREAT I'D SAY ALMOST INTIMIDATING IF SOMEONE PULLED UP BESIDE YOU . YOUR HARD WORK PAID OFF. HOW ABOUT A DARK PURPLE?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 03:01:53 AM by OUTKAST »

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2004, 01:30:55 PM »
thanks outcast.black with a hint of purple would be nice,!!
also as far as looking intimidating from the rear,i'm hoping thats all
most will see of the car!!!maybe i will send a shot to the new dglvk and see
if i meet there need for speed requiremnts

Dialedinp

Offline James Buchan

Jim Martin
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2004, 04:06:36 PM »

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2004, 05:15:57 PM »
james i will have too get a resume together.haha, . so have you and your other members sat down and hashed out what you are looking for in members and there cars etc.

Dialedinp

Offline James Buchan

Jim Martin
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2004, 05:51:02 PM »
Pretty much - It should be on our website in the next little while. I'll post when Shane updates the site.

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2004, 02:58:42 PM »
i'll check your site later on next month ,for years i've been the  lone vancouver chopped rodder ,i'm getting lonely . maybe a club is what i need .or most likely need my nanny too get her tail back from the damb phillipines so i can get on with my projects !!!.p.s always check the date. when your nanny says shes going on holidays from the 9th to the 31st make sure  its within the same month. man i obviously pay her too much if she can leave for 2 months.

Dialedinp

Offline aircoolednewf

Jim Martin
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2004, 05:31:52 PM »
Hi jim the car looks awesome, you have everything done that I dream of doing some day. I think that since you have already raced it white, than it should stay white. you could add a little gold metal flake and it'll bring the white alive.
 Now about my chop, you're kinda scareing me, but I already cut the top for just this reason. There's no goin back. I have a guy that says he can do it for me and I am confident he can. He's tradeing the labour for a set or realistic flames on his t-bucket, sounds good to me. but if we have any trouble you can be sure that I will drive you crazy with questions.
 Again, beautiful job on the bug( what year and where did you get the glass front).
 Later David

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2004, 06:17:37 PM »
no problem if you need help you can find me here,frt end is so old i don't even know where i got it from,car was originally a 68  .
good luck ,take it slow and it will come together

Dialedinp

Offline aircoolednewf

Jim Martin
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2004, 07:26:48 PM »
hey Jim, quick question for you. There is a roof for sale, with the chop already done, would this be a better aproach to doing my chop, or am i better off continuing as planned?

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2004, 10:13:51 PM »
might not be a bad way too go,i just saw it in the classifieds,i think its a great option,if you can weld thin guge steel ,grafting this as well as reparing the drip rail should be a snap,i think he said he had the doors,as well i remember seeing that car on the road .
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 10:28:11 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline btljuce

Jim Martin
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2004, 09:14:28 PM »
that's a great looking car jim!!! B)  

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
 56 rag oval now  2332 !!
 56 wolfsburg kombi

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2004, 10:32:21 PM »
thanks btljuice, it doesn't look so good right now its stripped and i hope to graft a nose on it this weekend then seperate the body and pan,
last summer was fun ,now its time for stage 2 !!!!hopefully i will get it painted soon.just i'm hurting for spare time at work as well as home . i brought my camera home this weekend i think i might take some photo's of the progress this time
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 10:35:04 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2004, 08:32:38 PM »
well screw the flip frt end here comes good old german steel.
first picture is the donner piece from shane .its blasted and in not bad shape.

and here is everones worst fear rust .thank god this is the worst of it.so i cut it out and will treat inner area and patch in cut out section ,then the frt clip will go over top and vola all hidden.

if anyone is ever doing a frt clip call me there is alot of things that are of a major concern.
also alot of metal has too go for my fuel cell .well no rules on a custom.so you can do what you want, and its always right.will pick up fiberglass hood /fenders from airspeed this friday.then trial fit /tack together/body off pan.
hey silas i thought i was going too hear from you.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 09:09:06 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp