Author Topic: Blasting!  (Read 3038 times)

Offline surgerypending

Blasting!
« on: December 12, 2004, 06:27:35 PM »
OK, i've decided to send the car out to get blasted....where's a good place to bring it(i live in coquitlam) and whats a reasonable price to pay? I'm just getting the shell done...it's an oval sunroof car.
Thanks
Gerry
Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow

Offline ehos

Blasting!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 07:03:18 PM »
I can't help with where.  But, please, please make sure they know what they are doing.  Bettle metal is very very thin, and a bit too much heat will totally screw up your whole car (waves!).

Doors shouldn't be blasted (IMO) with sand.  Walnut/media blasting is usually safer.

Don't mean to scare you but, make sure they know what they are doing (ie, probably not a good idea to take it to guys that blast tanks etc).

Offline Hoosier Daddy

Blasting!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 07:17:10 PM »
I've taken stuff to Redi-strip in Tillbury. They do tons of car blasting/dipping.  

Offline driverfound

Blasting!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 01:39:36 PM »
media blast not sandblast.  I had a sandblasting company do my beetle and my rust free '59 doors are wrecked.  WARPED... I wish I had have done it myself instead of sending it out to do.  Walnut shells or plastis beads but not sand..... picture of my warped doors
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 01:56:59 PM by driverfound »

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Blasting!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 03:43:03 PM »
media blast not sandblast.  I had a sandblasting company do my beetle and my rust free '59 doors are wrecked.  WARPED... I wish I had have done it myself instead of sending it out to do.  Walnut shells or plastis beads but not sand..... picture of my warped doors
it sounds like your guy didnt have a clue as to what he was doing.

sand can be used.

i'd recommend walnut shells first, and then sand.

call airstrip in richmond and talk to jerry. he's done vw's and he'll tell you everything you need to know and give you a quote so you can compare it to other shops.

Offline surgerypending

Blasting!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 05:19:14 PM »
Thanks, i'm familiar with what sandblasting can do to a vehical...i'm just getting the shell done and maybe the front fenders. I was just wondering what i can expect to pay and where to bring it so as to not get ripped off or have to wait forever to get it back!
Gerry
Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow

Offline Hoosier Daddy

Blasting!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 05:20:59 PM »
Probably looking at around $700 or so.  

Offline silas

Blasting!
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 06:06:27 PM »
Thanks, i'm familiar with what sandblasting can do to a vehical...i'm just getting the shell done and maybe the front fenders. I was just wondering what i can expect to pay and where to bring it so as to not get ripped off or have to wait forever to get it back!
Gerry
call airstrip. 604-270-7665. talk to jerry.

i have dealt with them and i was pleased with their work. helpfull. knowledgeable. quick turn around. they know vw's.

like hoosier said, about $700 +/- a few.

Matt

Blasting!
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 06:26:48 PM »
I took a shell to airstrip, and 2 doors. cost $800 cashy cash.

Offline nivag

• Gavin Lee
Blasting!
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2004, 08:58:55 AM »
If your in Coq, go see Scott at B&W metal cleaners. He knows beetles very well and does a great job. Very reliable and reasonably priced.

604-525-9690

gavin

Offline ehos

Blasting!
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2004, 10:01:54 AM »
Isn't Chemical Dipping almost the same price?

Offline Hoosier Daddy

Blasting!
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2004, 02:40:37 PM »
Chemical dipping will run you about $1100, but if you are going to go that route you might as well go all the way and get all 4 steps done. Each step is 10% cheaper than the last one. So you end up paying around $4k,,,,but man does it look nice once it's all done. :rockon:  

Offline silas

Blasting!
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2004, 09:35:33 PM »
imo, i'd skip the dip.

unless you're going to dip it in a tub of epoxy primer after.

trying to get a gun to shoot every nook and cranny of the body after it's dipped is going to be impossible.

Offline Hansk

Blasting!
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2004, 10:35:16 PM »
Another option might be a do it your self place.  About 12 years ago ,I took my single cab out to Canadian Auto restorations (langley)  and spent the whole day sand blasting the under sides and insides etc.  Cost about $200.  I'd say it was about 10 times more work than a beetle shell.   I did'nt do any outer body panels.  They still offer it at about $45 per hour
 At the time the guy from ready strip actually came to my house (super nice guy)to give me quote on the whole dipping package . It was over $3000 , if money were no object I would  have had it done.  
Big fat black fastback

Offline Hoosier Daddy

Blasting!
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2004, 09:05:19 AM »
The last step in the dipping process is Zinc-Phosphating, this provides a great surface for paint to stick to. I look at it like this, the car was originally bare-metal at some point and had got sprayed.  

Offline ehos

Blasting!
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2004, 11:32:33 AM »
They zinc plate ships :)   So I don't think it would be a worry about the hidden areas.
Dipping is the best, safest way to strip paint.  But, $$$$$$$!

They dip high end cars before a resto begins.  It's not cost effective on VW's (at this time anyways).

Offline silas

Blasting!
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2004, 09:07:55 PM »
here's a good read with some good info.

apparently, at the factory before assembly, vw's were dipped in a chemical first to strip and then primer to cover.

read on...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=92474

Offline Lobsterpimp

Blasting!
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2005, 06:27:25 PM »
I've stripped down my '73 Bug pan in preperation for the sandblaster. Around my parts (Eastern Shore of Virginia) headstone carvers do sandblasting on the side. Check around with your local funeral homes and see if you can find a local guy who carves headstones. My guy said \"$50 an hour and $15 per 100lb of media\" (sand). So I figure it should take about and hour, 2 tops. But I'm just having the pan done right now. And everything is stripped off it. :rockon:

http://www.LobsterPimp.com
http://www.LobsterPimp.com

Jesus Loves You...But Everybody Else Thinks You're an A55HOLE!!!!!!!

Offline Hoosier Daddy

Blasting!
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2005, 06:32:54 PM »
Can you send me over some lobster? :D

Offline rustybus

Blasting!
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2005, 09:22:13 PM »
mmmmmmmm   lobster them's good humpin'  :wub: