Author Topic: Valve Adjustment  (Read 1593 times)

Offline 1blk66

Valve Adjustment
« on: November 22, 2005, 08:15:23 PM »

I'm going to adjust my valves this weekend. Of course I should have thought of doing it before I changed my oil.  :angry:

Anyway, how much oil can I expect to come out when I remove the valve covers ?:huh:  

Thanks gang and remember be kind, mom said theres no such thing as a dumb question.   :blush:  

Offline 68IIIbuggy

• http://
Valve Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 08:19:20 PM »
Only a few drips....just put some newspapaer under your engine. The engine has to be COLD when you do this ie not run for several hours,so all the oil will have drained back to the sump by then anyway.

Offline 1blk66

Valve Adjustment
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 09:02:50 PM »
Thanks for the info.  :D
Which gaskets are better, I've come across 2 kinds. One appears to be a pretty even rubber/cork mixture, while the other set seems to be mostly rubber. I've heard that the cork/rubber ones are better.

Any opinions appreciated.  

Offline 68IIIbuggy

• http://
Valve Adjustment
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 06:14:02 PM »
Yes, go with the \"cork\" gaskets. I tried the black rubber ones from Lordco, and they leaked bad so I had to change them back to the oem style.

Offline vwsportsbug

Valve Adjustment
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 10:31:26 PM »
tried the black rubber ones from Lordco, and they leaked bad

I just had the same problem with the Lordco supplied rubber...  the cork from Bow Wow here in Victoria, along with some \"high heat\" silicone to seal has done the trick...

Offline 1blk66

Valve Adjustment
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 08:44:47 PM »
Thanks for the comments. I was reading my keep your vw alive and noticed that John talks about bearing grease on the head side when putting new gaskets on.

Is this or even the \"hig heat\" silicone necessary or just a little added ?  

Offline Chris

• Car.
Valve Adjustment
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 09:51:33 PM »
it helps to keep the gasket in position, you can even use a gasket sealant/glue, just have to deal with the clean up next time you change them....