Author Topic: Seabert Won't Start..  (Read 4436 times)

Offline kirin

Seabert Won't Start..
« on: September 02, 2003, 07:31:34 PM »
Hey guys heres the deal.
Bug was running great till my oil cooler nuts came loose. Pulled the engine an tightened them up. Put in a new clutch and throw out bearing. Installed engine. Burned up the points and two condensors. Put in a new condensor today (removed disty) and I can crank the bug and get it to sputter like its running on two cylinders but no dice. I have tried flipping the distributor cap and turning the disty(This is on a stockish 1962 bug converted to 12v with a 1300cc engine) What stopped me from cranking her over even more and trying to get it to fire was the fan nut came off and now I got to pull the alt. Any idea why she won't fire up and go?
-Kirin Jacobsen
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Offline Rooodie

• http://www.dglvk.com
Seabert Won't Start..
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 07:37:35 PM »
Did you double check to make sure the firing order is correct?
Are your points gapped correctly?
DGLVK

West Coast Show Down 2004

Caution objects in my mirror appear to be you!

Offline kirin

Seabert Won't Start..
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 08:08:06 PM »
Yup. followed my big wiring diagram and got the plug order correct. Points I thought were gapped correctly. WHen I turned the engine over I could see a gap that opened and closed.  I will try regapping them tommorow but right now my main concert is that fan pulley..
-Kirin

Matt

Seabert Won't Start..
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 08:23:21 PM »
If the dist. drive gear is installed backwards the dist. is out 180 degrees. Try putting the wires in the exact opposite order of where they are now. Keep in mind the notch on the edge of the dist. is supposed to be #1 cyl.

Also if you have removed the dist. you timing is now out. Turn the crank by hand until #1 cyl is at TDC, with the key on you can use a test light on the neg. side of the coil, tighten the clamp just when the light goes on and off. That will get it to fire and then have it set by somebody with a gun. hope that helps,

Matt

Offline kirin

Seabert Won't Start..
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2003, 08:28:24 PM »
Hey Matt. I will have to try that in the daylight. Sounds like the best advice so far. Now I'm not sure if my disty has a notch but I will be sure before I start throwing around questions...
Will figure it out and get us a good base to try to figure out what the hell is up.
-Kirin