Author Topic: 101.6mm Cyls.. Stock Block?  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Boost_Retard

101.6mm Cyls.. Stock Block?
« on: December 29, 2004, 10:16:29 AM »
Has anyone here ever ran 101.6mm cyls on a stock (stock style at least) type 1 block before..is it possible?

whats required to get these monsters to fit? Big steel plates? new case? or can it be done?

thanx
Cale

Billyisgr8

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 10:33:37 AM »
Haven't done it but was thinking of doing it before I went T4 you should use a wasser case.  A much simpler conversion.

Contact Rocky Jennings.  Looks like the stf is out again though so I can't track it down for you.

Kevin

Offline Boost_Retard

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 11:11:05 AM »
yeah i read all about that guy and his wasser motors..
i am using a type 1 case for my build..i was just wondering if it was possible to go 101.6 with it..

i found a set of 95mm pistions that will work however..

still.. a 4\" bore would be kick ass

Cale

Offline James Buchan

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 12:13:08 PM »
The head studs would be in the way of a 101 bore.

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 01:31:20 PM »
you can order one of the new style aluminum cases without head studs drilled.then send it to a vw based machine shop get it bored and then case savers installed.can't remember at present which supplier allows it to be orderd that way

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.830 sec at 143.44 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp

Offline Boost_Retard

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 05:16:58 PM »
...Looks like a 4\" bore is a no go with my set up unless i want to buy a new case and spend a fortune on machine work..

Is there anyone out there running bigger than a 94mm in a stock style block type 1?

maybe i could squeeze a set of 96mm cyls in with 8mm head studs..

hummm

Cale

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 07:03:23 PM »
94mm cylinders are cutting it close to max, the clearance to the oil cooler gally sometimes breaks thru when you bore a stock case to 94mm.

No prob as it can be welded, You can aso plug that gally and then go larger.

I belive we can also get the new alum cases with no stud holes.

Offline Tom H.

• http://home.att.net/~drsowatt/index.html
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 07:31:52 PM »
Its possible, how much do you want to spend?

One big problem with the T1 architecture not being very friendly for a 4\" bore is the bore spacing, requireing siamesed cylinders. This is a cooling compromise for real street use. Unequal cooling around the outside of a pair of cylinders could cause bore distortion and loss of ring seal. Moving the bore spacing out like Jennings does means the heads are now very non-standard. $$$$$$$$$

Revmaster may be the cat's meow on this, a few 3L engines are now being built. This is a very deep pocket approach, but the most realistic that I'm aware of.

Autocraft's 96 bore cylinders are damn near finless, and the few fins they have are quite thick, so they work good in an alky midget motor or for a drag engine.  The stud pattern and case hole is the same as a wasser. Again, not a very good choice for a street engine.

I'll let ya know how my 95s work this summer. But that 1mm increase over a 94 is NOT cheap.