Author Topic: Who here does convertible top repalcements? Or recommendations?  (Read 1437 times)

Stephan Schmidt

Who here does convertible top repalcements? Or recommendations?
« on: February 10, 2016, 02:40:01 PM »
Please save the hair dresser comments, LOL!

I'm going to be needing to replace the top on my 1990 Mazda miata with a new unit.  I want an original top (vinyl with a zippered plastic rear window) and I'd like to hear who does good work and who you'd recommend.  I'd be happy to give someone on this site the business if they are up to the task.  I'm fairly particular, so i want this job done by someone familiar and qualified!

Thanks guys!

Offline Bruce

Re: Who here does convertible top repalcements? Or recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 02:51:54 PM »
You don't need to get it done by someone.  You just buy the top and install it.  There's no custom fitting required.

Stephan Schmidt

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 03:22:30 PM »
You don't need to get it done by someone.  You just buy the top and install it.  There's no custom fitting required.

I'd rather pay someone for their time and professionalism for this task so that I can confidently feel its been done right.  Gluing around the bows, stretching the fabric, etc.. is just not what i'd like to do.  Mechanically I'm happy to tackle the job, but not with the top...I'm just too picky and i'd rather have it done perfectly.

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 08:35:59 PM »
try haymac in langley. they specialize in upholstery & glass for all makes & models. local asf member kevin (70's looker) works there!

http://www.haymackautoglass.com/en/upholstery.html

or maybe try the other asf local stitchers...brian (red snapper), richard (rolls and pleats) or bill (thrasher bill).

Offline josh

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 11:47:51 AM »
Come on dude.....a Miata???  :57: :57: :57: :57: :57: :57:
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Stephan Schmidt

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 02:41:41 PM »

I was fully expecting this, LOL

But, once you drive one its hard to ignore how much fun they are  :steeringwheel:

Stephan Schmidt

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 02:50:48 PM »
try haymac in langley. they specialize in upholstery & glass for all makes & models. local asf member kevin (70's looker) works there!

http://www.haymackautoglass.com/en/upholstery.html

or maybe try the other asf local stitchers...brian (red snapper), richard (rolls and pleats) or bill (thrasher bill).

Cool, I'll give Kevin a shout!

Offline Island bugs

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 11:29:06 AM »

I was fully expecting this, LOL

But, once you drive one its hard to ignore how much fun they are  :steeringwheel:
Yes but so are scooters and would you want to be seen riding one?
Wayne

Offline bandwagen

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 05:32:31 PM »
There's a soft top shop somewhere on Marine Drive in Van. that's  pretty affordable and gets good reviews.  I know of a few Miatas and rabbit cabrios that have had tops done there with good results.  If I find the name I'll send it along.
Love Miatas!  I have a '91 British Racing Green Special Edition that I just put collector plates on.   It goes well with my 1960 MGA and my '63 beetle.  All classics!  It's the best no BS sportscar on the planet.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 05:38:04 PM by bandwagen »
1963 Beetle, 1200, 40hp