Author Topic: 009 Distributor On A 1300cc 6v  (Read 2604 times)

Offline driverfound

009 Distributor On A 1300cc 6v
« on: June 21, 2004, 08:22:46 AM »
--does a 009 work with 6V?---
I've been having troubles with timing on my OG small body distrib. I decided to use the 009 I had on my shop. I bought all new cap,rotor,condensor, points. Installed two days ago and can't get the engine to fire. TDC is TDC. Rotor is pointing at stick shift instead of front pass seat. I put wires on cap in cloclwise order 1-4-3-2 and set. set static timing at 7.5 degrees BTDC. Turns over but backfired. Checked point gap-GOOD. Checked TDC-GOOD. Made sure wires were in order..

HELP....
Oh should ignition wire be on #15 on coil and condersor be on #1. What would happen if they were swithched around?

Rob
fort st john

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 10:01:33 AM »
Rob,
Yes the 009 will work on a 6v. The green condensor attaches to the \"1\" and the black attaches to the \"15\"

Offline driverfound

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 01:36:30 PM »
I was getting frustrated today AGAIN. So I decided to put the old dizzy back on. Same result.
My neighbour the GM mechanic took my wire off the first time so I didn't get to see how they were. Do they go

-----2 ^ 4 the arrow is the rotor pointing at #1

Offline Hoosier Daddy

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 01:47:13 PM »
The best way to check to make sure TDC is right is to turn the motor until the rotor points to the number one plug, then pull the valve cover and make sure both valves on the number one cylinder are closed.

I'm trying to remember but I think your number one wire should be on the bottom right if looking down on the distributor.

Hope this helps.  

Offline driverfound

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 02:40:23 PM »
I pulled #1 plug out and stuck and rachet extention in the hole.  Turned the pully until TDC and sure enough the racket extention peaked out and started back in again
It was long enough to fall in too.  After I did that I thought of what could have happened. Feww.

The rotor points between my seat.  Not to #1.

Before I did all this I assumed the dissy drive was in wrong because the vacum advance was \"kinda in the was when I went to tighten the 10mm nut on the dizzy clamp.

Anyone have a drive puller I can borrow.  I've noticed the price of them has come down so maybe I'll buy one this week.

regardless.

Even if it was in wrong could I just set 7.5 BTDC rotate the dizzy until #1  makes the light come on anfd it's set.??.

Offline driverfound

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 04:45:57 PM »
ok this is retarded.  I called a  guy in town to see if I could come over and look at his dizzy cap rotor and wire position.

He's got a 009 and his rotor is pointing at his frivers seat at TDC.
Wire are like this

---3----1
-----O
---4--- 2
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 04:49:45 PM by driverfound »

Offline moni

• http://www.texturedimpressions.com
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 10:36:13 PM »
-----2 ^ 4 the arrow is the rotor pointing at #1
i had issues with this last summer too, as TDC wasn't where the book said it would be. just couldn't get her to fire, even tho i triple and quadruple checked everything. the firing order you mentioned before was correct for mine (altho mine's a 12V, and i don't know if that would make a difference), and sounds like your vacuum advance is in the right spot too (about 7 o'clock-ish). i'd give james' suggestion a try, in pulling off the valve covers to mark where your TDC is fer sure.

if it still comes up in the spot you've been trying, check that your plugs are in the right spots; then have someone with fresh eyes check 'em again. when i called in a friend, he spotted the switch plugs in two seconds, and next thing ya know, she was purring like a kitten.
Sometimes I get the feeling the whole world is against me, but deep down I know that's not true. Some smaller countries are neutral.

Offline GMB

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 09:07:14 AM »
I third that! When #1 piston is at TDC you have a 50/50 chance of the engine being at TDC#1. It could be at TDC#3 so you have to take the valve cover off #1-2 side and bring the pulley to TDC then I rotate the pulley back and fourth 10 degrees or so and watch the intake and exhaust rocker of #1 cylinder to see if they move. If the engine IS at TDC#1 niether rocker will move when the pulley is rocked back and fourth and both valves will be closed. This is also a good way to make sure you are on TDC for any cylinder when doing a valve adjustment.
   Once you know for sure you are on TDC#1 your rotor will be pointing at #1 cylinder then all you have to do is what you have been doing  rotate the dist. till the mark on the dist body lines up with the center of the rotor. If you have a degreed pulley you can turn the pulley to the desired BTDC initial (idle) timing mark(this will be the #s to the right of the TDC mark on the pulley) then align the dist body mark with the rotor and this will give you close to proper timing for startup. This is by no means a replacement for doing a running check with a timing light to make sure timing is correct.
  Hope this helps,
       Gary.

Warrior sand rail:
2276cc 82x94
Engle FK-41 with 1.25:1 street style rockers
40x35.5 stock cast single port heads
Single 40mm Kadron w/32vent
Equalizer 5lb pulley
Stock lifters
Stock aluminum pushrods
26mm aluminum oil pump full flow
*Poor mans rack and pinion up front*

Offline driverfound

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 09:11:58 AM »
call me retarded but..

doesn't TDC have to be where the pulley says it is.  I thought that the crank and pully fit together only one way.  If the notch is at the top then it is TDC.

If the dizzy pinion is installed incorrectly and my rotors was pointing in any direction could I not just rotate the dizzy around until #1 meet the rotor and then set timing?

Oh last night I set it at 7.5 BTDC.  Put the plugs in 1-2-4-3 and it fires up 1/2 assed but wouldn't run.  This is weird

(this is how my friends wires are on his 009.  At TDC is rotor point to 10 o'clock) Weird

Oh and it still isn't running so I don't think I know what I'm talking about. LOL

I have a fresh set of VW eyes coming over tonight.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 09:40:42 AM by driverfound »

Offline GMB

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2004, 09:56:37 AM »
Yes, the pulley has to be at TDC for the engine to be at TDC. BUT Because the cam turns half the speed as the crank when the pulley is at TDC you could be at either TDC#1 or #3. Thats why the only way to make sure you are on #1 TDC is to check the intake and exaust on #1 cylinder.
Warrior sand rail:
2276cc 82x94
Equalizer 5lb pulley
Stock lifters
Stock aluminum pushrods

Offline driverfound

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2004, 11:37:37 PM »
Well before the local Guru could make it here I had her up and running.  I took the valve cover off and low and behold the rocker was-a-rockin'.  It is 180 out.  My rotor is pointing at 7 o clock.  Fired up on the first try.  I didn't know about the little line in the dizzy though.  Every book I read makes no mention of this little line.

Thanx everyone for your help.  I was headed down your way this summer to go to GCVW show but booked off the week after the 15.  I was under the assumption it was in the 3rd week of Aug ever year..  Oh well  I may still go just to check out airspeed.
thanks again.

Offline GMB

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2004, 07:56:46 AM »
Glad to see you got it on your own. Very few people understand exactly how to do what you have done. Now you will never have this challenge again. Too bad about your hollidays hopefully there's something goin on next time you come down.
   Gary.
Warrior sand rail:
2276cc 82x94
Equalizer 5lb pulley
Stock lifters
Stock aluminum pushrods