Author Topic: Engine Question: swamping out different sized engines  (Read 1857 times)

Offline 604peter

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Engine Question: swamping out different sized engines
« on: August 09, 2015, 08:37:49 PM »
Hi Guys,
Its been  35 years.  I can't remember, and don't know.  I have a '66 Kombi with a 1600 dual port.  It's throwing oil out of numerous spots, including rods and between the tranny and engine.  Its got lots of end play, etc.  I'd like to swap in a 1776 or 1800 motor- something strong, but still economical.   Can this be done using the same tranny.  In other words, can certain sized engines be interchanged using the same tranny?
(I don't want to go too big, as I don't want to cut away metal.  I'd like a nice fit and lots of parts.  I also wonder about a full flow spin on oil system... sounds like a good thing to do.
Thoughts.

Offline josh

Re: Engine Question: swamping out different sized engines
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 12:31:27 AM »
If you are running a DP already then you're good to go as far as fit but gearing may be another story?
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
Re: Engine Question: swamping out different sized engines
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 08:31:16 PM »
when i had a van many years ago i put together a motor that got 4 of us and equipment up and down the whistler hwy every weekend  for years
with lots of torque and very little maintance and excellent drivability

it was based on a stock 1600 dp

upgraded with -90.5 cima pistons and cylinders,oilpump/filter combo, slightly modified heads with dual springs, a 1st stage old bugpack cam, 1.25 rockers , heater boxes with a header
009 dist and im thinking dual kadrons and possibley changed to dual dellorto 40's

this is something you could easily do without breaking the bank and when i look at your phot use everthing pictured that isnt listed .
Darren would be one to talk to about such a combo and since you have a good running core to work with its a excellent start

GCVW show coming up great time to hunt for parts

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.830 sec at 143.44 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp