Author Topic: heater channel replacement  (Read 1899 times)

Offline 64baja

heater channel replacement
« on: June 16, 2008, 07:14:20 AM »
I have a 1964 convertable type 1.  What kind of money and I looking at the heater channels replaced by someone?  Can anyone recommend someone to contact to get a quote?
Many thanks everyone.

Offline Bruce

Re: heater channel replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 12:05:18 AM »
Stefan at Rudy Feeg auto can handle this job.
If your heater channels are gone, so are your floor pan halves, right?  Get it all done at the same time.

Offline 64baja

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »
There is no rust on the pan at all.  It is mint.  The only problem is there were no window scrapers so the water has run down into the heater channels.  Everything else looks great. So I think it is just heater channels.  The convertable has some extra reinforcing under them and I presume it comes as a piece with the heater channel?  These have  rusted through too.  Any idea of cost before I go in so I can prepare myself.

Offline Bruce

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 12:09:23 AM »
My guess would be $3-4k.

Offline 64baja

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 10:16:09 AM »
ouch, that is some major coin. 

Offline dale-j

• Steve
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 02:01:06 PM »
The convertible reinforcement rails come separately from the heater channels, and when I bought the rails for my '63 I recall they were about $300 for just the rails, plus about $250 for the heater channels.  Factor in some steel tube to fabricate a weld-in body jig/brace and you're about $600 plus supplies (MIG wire and gas, seam sealer, welding primer, cut off wheels and grinder discs, paint) and time (lots of time). That was 10 years ago so YMMV - but suffice it to say it's a pretty major job and unless you're attached to the patina of the rest of the car, if you're going to do it you might as well go all the way and do a full resto.   

My 2 cents, anyways.....

Steve
0-60 in...umm...can I call you back?