Author Topic: Parts to the states  (Read 1247 times)

Offline spudnickel

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Parts to the states
« on: September 17, 2019, 01:13:56 PM »
Hi Everyone,  I am going to part out my vw panel van that i have listed on this site and i have a guy in the states that wants me to cut off the cab and bring it to sumas for him to pick up from there.  The question is what kind of drama can i expect at the border?  Can i do that without papers?  It wont have the vin on it so is it just considered parts? back our trucks up to each other over the ditch on zero ave? Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline Bruce

Re: Parts to the states
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 05:41:38 PM »
The rules have changed recently that make it very difficult.  Anything you are intending to take to the US and leave there is considered a commercial import.  To process that, you first need to apply for a commercial import user ID for the US Customs system.  There's a pretty steep annual fee for this.  Once you have that, you can create your online import "paperwork".  There's a fee each time you cross the border, plus whatever duty or tax they think you need to pay.
For small things, stick them in the mail.
The only way I would do a deal like you suggest is for the guy to come into Canada, then he brings it into the USA.  He can do that without any of the bureaucracy at the border because it is considered to be a personal import (up to $800USD).

Offline spudnickel

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Re: Parts to the states
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 05:44:28 PM »
Thanks Bruce that is great info.  And since i posted this the guy actually found something else in a local junk yard near him so he wont be buy my front end.  Good to know for the future as i plan to part this bus out.