Author Topic: Studd Muffin  (Read 2109 times)

Offline xcasper

Studd Muffin
« on: September 17, 2006, 10:12:30 PM »
Hi. Been trying to solve my squeeky brake problem. Some helpful friends told me to take out my pads and sand them off. (Discs on the front.)  Well, I couldn't get the pads out from the back, so I thought I would take off the big round pad holder thingy, there were only two studds.  Unfortunately, the first bolt I was working on twisted off. *hit!!!!  So what do I do now? Any suggestions? Oh, also, there was a weird half moon shaped piece of copper wire that came out of the assembly when I took the pull out bar thing out, couldn't see where it went so I just left it out? Any idea what it is? Or how it fits in there? Since my ghia is my only transport, I guess I will limp to work tommorrow.  I drove the car around the block and the brakes seem to work still, guess the other bolt is really in there too.  Good thing my car doesn't go very fast. Peace. Steve.  

Offline Darren Dilley

Studd Muffin
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 01:13:37 AM »
dude... i hope u have life insurance :blink:  
life without racing..is no life at all

Offline kirin

Studd Muffin
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 11:02:05 AM »
I have to agree with Mr. Dilley here.

Brakes on ones car are not something to be questioned. Any sense of uncertainty about ones brakes and you shouldn't simply drive the car. I know this all too well since I lost my brakes and bounced my 62 beetle off a rental sebring!
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Offline Bruce

Studd Muffin
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 02:22:02 PM »
Can you take some pics?

Some info.  The consumable part of your brakes are called pads when you have discs, and called shoes when you have drums.  Drum brakes will never squeal like disc brakes do, so if you are tracking down squealing brakes, the front is all you need to look at.
There are many methods to cure squealing brakes.  Some involve aluminum shims between the pistons and pads, others will have you glue the pads to the pistons.  I have had good success grinding a large chamfer on the leading edge of each pad.

Do you have a manual?  If not, you need the orange Bentley manual that Airspeed sells.  I guarantee it will pay for itself the first time you open it.

Offline xcasper

Studd Muffin
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 07:11:55 AM »
Ouch! Ok, guys, I am paid up. I hear you.  Many thanks, thanks again bruce! -Steve.