Author Topic: Carb Jets For 40 Idf Weber  (Read 7139 times)

Offline dpeters83gti

Carb Jets For 40 Idf Weber
« on: February 23, 2004, 08:40:43 AM »
Hi everybody...

Just curious if anyone has any \"extra\" jets for a 40 IDF Weber Carb.

The reason I'm asking is that  my brother bought a NEW single 40 IDF Weber carb for his 1776cc beetle
(from an Un-Named VW Parts supplier).  
Prior to purchasing the carb, several phone calls were made to this vendor regarding the jet sizes that come in the 40 IDF Weber at time of purchase.  Several times, specific Jet sizes were quoted and he was assured that those would be the jet sizes in the carb he purchased.
 The Weber Tech manual uses a 1776cc Beetle motor for reference to jetting specifications and the jet sizes specified by the vendor were nearly exactly the same as those mentioned in the Weber Tech Manual.
After purchasing the carb, it was installed on the motor...which now runs horribly on the new carb.
Trips to two different tuning shops to correct this issue finally revealed that the Jets supplied in the Carb by the vendor were several sizes too small..and NOT WHAT THE VENDOR QUOTED SEVERAL TIMES.
Upon contacting the Vendor, they said that they weren't responsible for the jets that come in the carbs, and brushed his complaint off.  My brother has since contacted RedLine Weber in California looking for the correct Jets for his carb (and 1776cc application) to no avail...
It's been nearly a year now since this whole thing started...He is very frustrated.
All he needs are correct Jets for his carbs.   I don't have the specific sizes in front of me...
But if anyone can offer to help... it would be appreciated.
Vancouver seems to have many fast-dubs with Big Carbs.

Hope you can help...

- Doug

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 11:58:47 AM »
If you know what sizes you would like we can get them for you. If you are in the Vancouver city area you can also contact Overseas auto for Weber jets.

Offline Scratchy

• http://scratchy.kicks-ass.net
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 04:28:11 PM »
You can also drill the jets out if you know the exact size you need.

-= Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room! =-

Offline dpeters83gti

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 09:06:17 PM »
Thanks for the replies... I've sent off an e-mail to my brother asking for the Specifics of the jet sizes he needs.  
And to correct myself... it's a 44 IDF Weber.  (my bad)

The option to drill-out the jets is still on the table...but he would like to get a correct jet rather than drill one out if at all necessary.

I'll update this thread with the information as soon as I get it.

Thanks for your help.

- Doug

Offline dpeters83gti

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 10:19:00 PM »
As promised...Here is the reply e-mail from my brother on this issue.
================================================

As requested.. this is my 44IDF Settings:

The symbol ? means I Don't know or  that is just what the book tells me it's supposed to be--but I don't know as everything else is so F/K'd up!!!  ]:(
Origional Settings (From **DELETED** Supplier)
Venturi   Main Gas  Main Acc.   Em-Tube  Idle Jet  Pump Jet  Aux vent  StarterJet
  32             130         135              F7           55          35            4.5?        90F5?

Settings Now
Venturi   Main Gas  Main Acc.   Em-Tube  Idle Jet  Pump Jet  Aux vent  StarterJet
   32       140-150     160               F11         60           35           4.5?        90F5?

As Far as the Weber Manual states for a 1776cc motor...
   36           160          165             F11          65          80            ?              ?

Ultimately I don't have any references to go from except the Weber book I have and I don't know if I trust it either??

FYI Engine Stats:
    Engine is a 1776 cc motor in an AE case(virgin-not cut)
    I'm running a Scatt 69mm counterweight crank (VW journals)
    Engle 110 cam- (Upgrading right away to an Engle 120 cam
    big foot lifters, elephant bearings, stock pushrod tubes
    90.5 Mahle/Cima pistons, 40x35.5 heads- open portes,SS valves, High rev
    Single valve springs, Hardened Keepers,
    9:1 Compression Ratio
    Stock rocker ratio 1:1 w/ solid shafts and swivel foot adjusters
    Heavy duty oil pump W/ remote oil filter
    lightened flywheel (13lbs)  1700lb Kennedy pressure plate
    4 into 1 header W/ duel quiet packs ( big Triangle flange) -j tubes
    009 Distributer ( California) W/ Purlux Ignitor
    Currently running  Weber 34 ICT Dual Carbs

There it is folks...

Hope you can help..

- Doug

Offline Scratchy

• http://scratchy.kicks-ass.net
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2004, 10:32:31 AM »
My only experience running a SINGLE weber 44IDF carb on a CB center mount manifold was abyssmal to say the least. I would not recommend running a single center mount weber unless it is in a turbo configuration.

The 44 I ran had 36mm Venturi's which most likely made it run even worse. You might be able to get it to run with
the 32 vent's, but a 40 IDF would be the largest carb I would use on a 1776, if I was to even attempt this again.
I believe the center mount just does not have the same air velocity (vacuum) through the carb as you get from
dual's due to the restrictive nature of the long runners and dual port end castings. Also icing becomes a major
consideration in our climate, so you MUST have the heater channel working. Otherwise the gas will not stay atomized and just collect on the sides of the manifold and runners. Then you're just pouring raw gas into the engine.

Dual carbs are far more efficient and I encourage your friend to seriously consider them instead, especially if he wants to experience the true performance his engine is capable of.

-= Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room! =-

Offline dpeters83gti

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2004, 10:32:05 PM »
Hmmm,

Thanks for the reply.   It's tough.  The supplier told him over the phone that customers commonly buy this setup from them...take it out to the parking lot...bolt it on in 20mins and drive away happy as a clam.

This, similar to your experience, has been a nightmare.  With about $1000 CDN into it already...he simply can't afford to spend nearly that much again to get another 44 IDF and Manifolds and Linkage.

Yes, it would likely turn his entire experience around...but when you were promised by the supplier  that this carb set-up would be a simple bolt-on and run excellent...

Well, you can see how the frustration can happen.

I'm thinking that at this point he'd trade this carb straight across for some of those NEW  Dual 34ICT Webers with chokes from CB Performance.

Again,  thanks for your input.

- Doug

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2004, 12:08:24 PM »
Well it sounds like your on the right track, there is no way for anyone to tell you the exact jets to use as elevation and engine cobo will change the outcome slightly.

I'm sure Bruce will give some good info here.