Author Topic: HELP..NO BRAKES!!!  (Read 2463 times)

Offline jeff450x

HELP..NO BRAKES!!!
« on: July 29, 2011, 10:49:33 PM »
Heres the deal.... I have built a wicked sandrail everything is awsome untill you want to stop then its a death trap!!!I only have rear brakes installed no fronts and a single lever steering brake. the issue is that no matter how well I bleed the brakes I have next to no braking action without pumping the pedal and the steering brake is next to usless. I have inspected the complete system and cannot find any leaks when I bleed it no air comes out. Is there trick to bleeding a system with steering brakes? Any help would be great .......Thanks

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Re: HELP..NO BRAKES!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 10:50:34 PM »
Is the push rod adjusted as per the manual?

Offline Hansk

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 06:16:09 AM »
Discs or drums ?  If discs , calipers mounted with bleeders to the top?
Big fat black fastback

Offline jeff450x

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 07:40:14 AM »
it is a aftermarket pedal assembly that I dont have instructions for so I dont know if the push rod is set right.

the buggy has drums..

Offline Jord63

• Jordan Woodley
  • 20years with the same car and it never gets boring
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 10:46:22 AM »
If you pump the pedal numerous times and then you get a good pedal, then your pads are way out of adjustment. Pumping the pedal will push the wheel cylinder out a bit each time untill the shoe makes contact with the drum, then after you let go of the pedal the springs pull them back again and you have to pump it up again next time you use the brakes.
If you pump the pedal till you get pressure and hold it and the pedal gradually sinks then you have a problem with the master.
If you cant get any sort of pedal then its probably air in the system.
Hope this helps.

Offline buggy1

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 03:23:26 PM »
A friend said that I'd need a power bleeder with mine Jeff to get all the air out with the steering brakes. Haven't done it yet but that me be an idea
'65 buggy
'58 baja in progress
Sunset Buggy Club

Offline GRK

• http://
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 06:29:57 PM »
Heres the deal.... I have built a wicked sandrail everything is awsome untill you want to stop then its a death trap!!!I only have rear brakes installed no fronts and a single lever steering brake. the issue is that no matter how well I bleed the brakes I have next to no braking action without pumping the pedal and the steering brake is next to usless. I have inspected the complete system and cannot find any leaks when I bleed it no air comes out. Is there trick to bleeding a system with steering brakes? Any help would be great .......Thanks
Welcome to the sandrail world!
I've got a single lever steering brake on mine. I bleed the brakes then re bleed again using steering brake. I'm not sure but I wonder if the piston in your after market pedal assembly has the right piston/plunger for drum brakes? (I've heard it can make a differance in how much pressure fluid is moved) either way I'd get away from the drums and put on disc makes a HUGE Diferrance in the performance of the steering brakes as well remember you've now only got to wheels braking. I used the CIP Ghia kit for along time now have 4 piston wellwoods.

You'll have to go down to Oregon on spring break when a bunch of us go!

Gary