Author Topic: help is in need no spark  (Read 3092 times)

Offline lildunebuggy

help is in need no spark
« on: July 18, 2011, 06:02:48 PM »
ok if anyone needs me to get the timing on there vw i can get that. what i have is no spark at all to the plugs. now i have been working on this motor and just got it rebuilt by a guy in kamloops. fuel is there and new battery, coil,plugs distributer, cap and rotter and now points and censor. wires and carb. timed all right had just did a other motor and had all the problems that anyone will put on this sie. now what is happening is the coil has power tell you try to start but i have changed the key to a 14$ one from cantire just today. has good turn over and compression. now does any one have a answer for me . keep in mind i have 2 of every thing and tryed them all.

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Re: help is in need no spark
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 06:21:03 PM »
Do you have spark at the plugs? check that first, if so and you have fuel the plugs just may be wet (flooded) If you do have spark, spray some liquid fire down the carb and see if you can get it to cough and start.
another thing to check would be your points gap.

Offline lildunebuggy

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 07:26:45 PM »
ya i have no spark at all it seams to just get to the coil and stop but funny thing is i use it in other buggy works fine. and i used the one out of a running bug and nothing works on rtebuilt one. all the stuff works good in the dune buggy. then i change it to the baja and it all does not work

Offline lildunebuggy

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 10:41:56 PM »
now it seems to be a problem that is internal if ti is the distributer not turning or some thing like that inside

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 06:55:39 AM »
Loosen the distributor clamp and push down on the distributor body as you turn the rotor, you'll feel it click into a groove and stop turning and the distributor will seat down against the case, then tighten the clamp and time it normally.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline lildunebuggy

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 04:35:28 PM »
ya it is sitting in the slot. i have had 2 guys come up and time it and set the points and checks. they all have left with there heads down. any one want to buy a motor 1600dp rebuilt and cleaned up. will sell it for 500 cash or will trade a motor that is running. i have never givin up before but the summer is wasting away and need to use this for the first time.

Offline BUSDADDY

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 05:20:15 PM »
So the distributor definitely turns when you crank? and if you grab the rotor and give it a good twist while lifting slightly it only moves a little one way and springs back when you let go? and when you watch the points as a helper cranks they open slightly (.016") and close fully repeatedly?
If you connect a test light between the + (#15) terminal on the coil and the - (#1) terminal and crank does the light blink on and off?  If it doesn't polish the point contacts with a piece of clean brown paper bag then try again.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline lildunebuggy

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 08:31:35 PM »
ye si have done all that just going to try the brown paper bag.

Offline BUSDADDY

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 09:51:01 PM »
If the test light flashed there's no need for the paper, then you should suspect the coil, rotor, cap or wires. But try cleaning the points anyways, make sure there's no shreds of paper stuck between them after and keep things grease free except for where the rubbing block touches the cam in the distributor.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline lildunebuggy

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 04:57:55 PM »
thanks it was just from sitting around when i had the motor worked on. had the points cleaned with the paper and then just missing so cleaned off the plug wires and fired up. has been the distributer 180ed  it was hard to keep runing so back to the learning how to rebuild myself.

Offline lildunebuggy

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 05:08:29 PM »
so i had a 009 distributer and it was faulty had been cut to short. so it would fire then some times not the forks at bottom of distributer was jumping out of every half turns. was driving me nuts had a other distributer and seen it was 3mm longer so never seen it before and was the problem all along. i had gotten 2 of the same 009 before and now the one is going to get tossed.

Offline 52 split

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 05:40:14 PM »
are you sure you have two washers under the distribtor drive shaft. never heard of anyone shorting a distributor.