Author Topic: HELP!!!!  (Read 5397 times)

Offline driverfound269

HELP!!!!
« on: May 30, 2011, 09:58:34 PM »
I was just trying to change the oil cooler stud in my universal case from small skinny one to the big one and it broke off flush with the case....what now?
How big and deep do I tap this??
Thanks  in advance
Mike
Everytime I build it idiot proof, they build a better idiot!

Offline driverfound269

Re: HELP!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 08:21:26 AM »
Still need help!

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 08:32:51 AM »
Not DVKK. Mike. Can you get a nut on it at all? Sometimes if you can get some of the nut on then plug weld the nut to the stud you might be able to thread it out. Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 11:58:44 AM by brodie »
'59 Beetle
'59 Single Cab

Offline egspot

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/egspot
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 11:25:39 AM »
Mike. Can you get a nut on it at all? Sometimes if you can get some of the nut on then plug weld the nut to the stud you might be able to thread it out. Good luck.

No DVKK.

Would that send a spark to the block? wtf

Offline owdlvr

• Dave Hord
    • Classic Car Adventures
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 12:01:14 PM »
Mike. Can you get a nut on it at all? Sometimes if you can get some of the nut on then plug weld the nut to the stud you might be able to thread it out. Good luck.

No DVKK.

Would that send a spark to the block? wtf

We're not dealing with high-explosives here. The cases don't light up that easily.

-Dave
--
'71 Type 1 - Rally Car Project
'75 Type 1 - Heirloom
'95 F150 - Unfortunate daily driver...

Offline driverfound269

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 01:18:41 PM »
Broke off flush to block

Offline buddy boy

• Marked for life
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 08:02:34 PM »
go to lordco and get one of these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0TS2NLjNuc

"only dead fish swim with the stream"

Offline driverfound269

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 08:57:59 AM »
Kick ass now if we only had a lordco will try Napa today
Thanks

Offline buddy boy

• Marked for life
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 09:14:56 AM »
oops didn't see that you were out of town,..napa should have them.. good luck and let us know how it works out !!

"only dead fish swim with the stream"

Offline driverfound269

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 04:29:13 PM »
Turns out Napa sell this little gem!!! Drilled out the center just like it shows in the video setup to extract the stud got my cheap ass canadian tire drill running about quarter speed like it said in the directions it started to bite into the stud .........and then....snapped like a matchstick.....USA made tools no match for German steel.......now what wtf

Offline berliner

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 05:00:15 PM »
Is the broken tool stuck in the stud?If not ,and the hole you drilled is bang on center,you can drill out most of the stud using a small bit,then a slightly bigger one,another bigger one,etc.Stop when you get to the threads,and collapse them inward with a punch.Lots of penetrating oil(I use ATF,works good)and a little heat will help.Finicky work,so take your time.If it all goes south on you,there's always helicoil,but the hole still has to be centered right,or the new stud won't line up with whatever part it goes with.The video shows the removal of a stud that was screwed in just before they shot it,yours has had years to seize up like in the real world.If it was in cast iron like most old cars,it would come out easy,not so with magnesium or aluminum.Good Luck!
what can possibly go wrong?                                                                     64ghia

Offline beetlemandan

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 05:07:32 AM »
Turns out Napa sell this little gem!!! Drilled out the center just like it shows in the video setup to extract the stud got my cheap ass canadian tire drill running about quarter speed like it said in the directions it started to bite into the stud .........and then....snapped like a matchstick.....USA made tools no match for German steel.......now what wtf

you need to get some heat into the block. mk2 water pump bolts are notorious for doing this awesome trick. a brazing torch works great. you don't need much heat cause the blocks alloy expands way faster than the steel stud
the customer is always wrong

Offline Mirko

• dude, where's my car?
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 01:24:02 PM »
The video shows the removal of a stud that was screwed in just before they shot it,yours has had years to seize up like in the real world.If it was in cast iron like most old cars,it would come out easy,not so with magnesium or aluminum.Good Luck!

The video was false advertising big time. That thing was in there hand tight... frigg'n jackoffs

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Offline Cameron

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 09:57:54 AM »
Too bad I did not see this post earlier. My advice would be the same as berliner's.

I would certainly NOT advise you to use stud extractors or Easy outs, or any other product like that. Those tools only work on studs, or broken bolts that are free turning. They are useless on fasteners that are seized. In my experience, they ALWAYS break. And once you break one of those hardened tools off in your seized stud, you've just taken a managable repair job, and turned into a very difficult repair job. You will be able to get out the broken stud, but you may need to replace it with an oversize stud.

driverfound269, it looks like you were going to put in a bigger stud anyways. I have three questions for you.

1) Did the stud extractor embed itself in the broken stud?
2) Can you get the broken pieces of the stud extractor out of the stud?
3) Is the engine in the car?

It's an insane world out there... and I'm proud to be part of it!

Offline driverfound269

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 06:36:28 PM »
Sorry I should been more clear,
The tool broke off but I got all of it out,
Now is this stud blind or does it go into the oil gallery under it(what happens if I drill to deep)
the reason for the bigger stud was this is a universal case and was used as a type 3 before,bought it from Mike Scott a couple of years back a fresh GMB motor
so it's still on a engine stand in my garage........in Fort St John

Offline Cameron

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 10:18:51 AM »
Sorry I should been more clear,
The tool broke off but I got all of it out,
Now is this stud blind or does it go into the oil gallery under it(what happens if I drill to deep)
the reason for the bigger stud was this is a universal case and was used as a type 3 before,bought it from Mike Scott a couple of years back a fresh GMB motor
so it's still on a engine stand in my garage........in Fort St John

Alright! If you got out all the broken pieces, then follow berliner's advice. Start with small drill bits and get progressively bigger. Try and stay on center.
AFAIK, there are no oil galleries under that stud, they all run down the left side of the case.

It's an insane world out there... and I'm proud to be part of it!

Offline driverfound269

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 09:49:22 PM »
Thanks everybody for the input got it drilled out and retapped