Author Topic: Still Popping Out Of Gear  (Read 3476 times)

Offline kirin

Still Popping Out Of Gear
« on: June 29, 2003, 10:21:20 PM »
Hey guys.
Hope I can finally get some good insight on this. I have a 1962 bug with the stock swing axle rear end. Basically stock height car.. just plain stock. Anyways. Previously I had a \"clunking\" problem. This was sourced to the front two bolts that hold the trans to the chassis(Or at least thats what I think they were anyway one of the bolts holds the ground from the tranny.) So I snugged up those bolts and no more clunking. But thats not the issue. Now my car is popping out of gear. It doesn't do it under load. But what it does do is if I down shift or if I hit a hard enough bump it just pops out of gear. My shifter is not sloppy. My nose cone is pretty tight on my car. My tranny mounts while they are the same ones that came with the car they look in pretty good shape. I do have a set of stock mounts(Picked them up from Jim on Saturday). It has been suggested by a few of my other vw friends that my mounts may be to soft allowing my trans to shift around. So.. I guess I'm wondering are the stock trans mounts really to soft? I guess I could always try some type two mounts. There always are the urethane mounts also but I don't really want to sacrifice my ride quality.. soo..
-Kirin Jacobsen
1962 bug Seabert
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Offline dannyboy

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2003, 01:12:17 AM »
what kind of shifter do you have?
have you replaced the shift coupler under the seat?
what about the shift rod bushing?
my car used to pop out of first, the problem was traced to a crappy empi trigger shifter
-dan

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2003, 09:49:19 AM »
LikeDan said, It could be a shifter or bushing. If it pops out under de acceleration and always the same gear then it may be a internal problem. My second gear has the same problem and i belive it is the slider/ syncro in second.
Did your trans start to pop out only after you tightened up the nose cone mount?

Offline kirin

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2003, 02:47:29 PM »
what kind of shifter do you have?

KJ- Bone stock 62 shifter.

have you replaced the shift coupler under the seat?

KJ-Nope but my shifter is precise. Not a lot of slop so I would guess it wouldn't matter to much.. or maybe it might.

what about the shift rod bushing?

KJ-Haven't replaced it. But I did pull the shifter and try and get some play out of the shiftrod. And its pretty darn tight only a little updown movement barely detectable.

my car used to pop out of first, the problem was traced to a crappy empi trigger shifter

-KJ not on mine...

Offline kirin

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2003, 02:49:12 PM »
Hey Geoff
It was popping out of gear before I tightened up the front. I'm going to try replacing the front one for giggles. Its not under decelerating its popping out. I can be going along and hit a bump when I'm punching the throttle and wham out of gear. Really a pain..
-Kirin