Author Topic: Street Legal Rail In Bc?  (Read 10217 times)

Offline 66'DB

• http://
Street Legal Rail In Bc?
« on: March 25, 2008, 12:46:08 PM »
Hey,
This summer I will be starting my next build, and I'll be building a Rail. My question is, is it possible to make it street legal here in BC? I asked a while back at an insurance broker, and they knew nothing...

First, if it's possible, where can I can info, guide lines, rules specs etc...(that way I can build it properly the first time)

Second, I have seen a few fg buggies in the street and I know fg buggies can be made street legal, however I have only seen one or two tube chassis buggies. Is it possible to put a custom fiberglass body on my rail and insure it as a fiberglass buggy (BTW how much do you guuys pay for insurance?)

Any info or help is appreciated,
Thanks,
66'DB

Offline dirtydeedss

Street Legal Rail In Bc?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 01:10:25 PM »
hey, im pretty sure if you use a bug torsion housing with the vin still there you can register it as a buggy. on my fiberglass buggy i had them change the body style to Dunebuggy, its in the list of vw body types.  and as for insurance, its the same as my beetle.

Offline 66'DB

Street Legal Rail In Bc?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 05:01:42 PM »
How about if I were to build a custom buggy (which I would prefer). My plan is to build a rail with a-arms and a Toyota engine swap?  

Offline Brassmonkey

Street Legal Rail In Bc?
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 09:28:29 PM »
There was a rail in the vally a few years back that was street legal but I haven't seen him in years know so I guess yes it is possible.

Offline 66'DB

Street Legal Rail In Bc?
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 03:29:36 PM »
A couple months ago at California import parts I saw a rail, but it was more like a fg buggy with diamond plate sheets as body panels. However it had stock beetle suspension and a stock engine... If I could ever find him, I need to ask him a couple questions...

Offline Hansk

Street Legal Rail In Bc?
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 10:05:24 PM »
http://www.blhotrod.com/manu.html

Check these guys out. They've got plates on them.
Big fat black fastback

Offline 66'DB

Street Legal Rail In Bc?
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 03:27:21 PM »
Looks kinda cool. I wonder though how much trouble they went through to make it street legal (guess I'll have to ask) . But I don't see why it took 8 years to build?? Although it looks pretty cool, in my opinion dune buggies and hot rods don't mix too well (it doesn't have that much travel or ground clearance)...

Offline 66DB

Re: Street Legal Rail In Bc?
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 04:02:34 PM »
I don't think anyone's still on this forum...
Anyway, do fiberglass or Manx style buggies need an inspection? Or do you just build it up, take your vin and registration to an insurance broker and register it as a VW beetle dune buggy?

Offline Brassmonkey

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 05:15:32 PM »
I don't think anyone's still on this forum...
Anyway, do fiberglass or Manx style buggies need an inspection? Or do you just build it up, take your vin and registration to an insurance broker and register it as a VW beetle dune buggy?

That does work I konw of a few beach buggies on the road that are vw dune buggy registered I'm going to try it on mine I hope it works.

Offline 66DB

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 03:43:13 PM »
That does work I konw of a few beach buggies on the road that are vw dune buggy registered I'm going to try it on mine I hope it works.

Why would it not work? I'm just wondering if there's any reason to doubt it Brassmonkey (or anyone else)?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 06:09:15 PM by 66DB »

Offline stu817

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 08:05:28 PM »
I was involved in the build of bearly legel buggy and thay built them as new cars not vw it was a big hasstle insuring them I am building a manx/rail car and have done alot of research on the whole street legal part and have got an inspection facility on board if you build it and regester as a bug you will get plates but when you get stopped by the cops thay will get you in trouble for tampering with tags the best way is to build a modified vehical outlind on ICBC websight it costs you 25.00 one form you must have a regi I used my doner bugs your inspecter will get new vin # that he will install do this when your buggy is ready to inspect make shure that you contact inspector befor you start and during your build he will let you know what is accepted all inspectors are different it took me two of them before I went with this guy after inspect just show buggy to insurance broker pay them for reg and insurance and you will not get hasstled by the cops just keep your cool when you get pulled over and dont be stupid on the road ex. no wheelies or jumpping stuff it just makes it that much harder for everyone else any other questions post them to manx build in this forum hope this helps

Offline orangecrush

• Rob McLatchy
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 08:48:18 PM »

my buggy been registered since the 80's under 1957 volkswagen dune buggy
no problems so far, but my brother got flag at a insurance place with his buggy.. ;)
1957 dune buggy
2002 beetle
Sunset Buggy Club