Author Topic: May 10 2005  (Read 4217 times)

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
May 10 2005
« on: May 10, 2005, 09:19:55 AM »
Sunday I spent the day with the touch up gun getting some of the spots on the chasis and other areas that needed some paint. Then it was onto the gas tank.

I decided to go with a later tank from a 79 bus. This tank was used for two reasons, The tank is slightly larger than the orig and  it was made for a F.I. motor so it has the two fuel fittings on the bottom. This will allow me to run F.I. later if I wish.

Chris A.K.A. Rustybus came to my rescue on Sat. I had removed the gas heater and in doing so I needed a orig non gas heater gas tank cover(the metal cover with the ribs in it) Chris had one and it was in my hands by the end of the day.

With some sanding and some \"special\" tinted semi gloss paint it looked good as new!

Next was to instal the new tank, Turns out the later tank also has a different venting system than the old one, with a little fussing all fit well and the cover was installed.

Matt was kind enough to smooth out the rear apron, I had trimmed it down (removing the lower portion) and welded on some nail wire to give it a factory rolled look. Next it was time to prime.

wet sand and some paint later...

After that it was onto wiring the eng bay. For the most part I'm retaining all the stock wiring with a few mods to the turn and tail lights as they are now Euro spec. Also the battery has been moved to the drivers side as you can see the large + cable running along the frame rail.  Also the stock 911 ignition box, voltage regulator and other electrical needs to be mounted.

Details! I love this shot!  This is the new decals we now have for the Buses. The decal sheet comes with these plus all the sliding door,steering colum, coil,valve lash and others. This finishes off any paint job with that factory look.

The last shot is just with the tail and reverse lights instaled.

Now onto the motor....and interior....and.... :wacko:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 09:21:54 AM by Gkafer »