Author Topic: Car Wont Start  (Read 2272 times)

Russ

Car Wont Start
« on: March 11, 2005, 08:40:40 PM »
went to start the oval and it fired up then died go to turn the key again and i have no speedo lights come on (red and green one)
open the decklid and it looks like the coil slid forward and might have shorted out??
12v car running an 009 and electronic ignition.any ideas where to start?the car died well i was out so i have to try and go back to bring it home tonight if possible
thanks for any help

russ

Russ

Car Wont Start
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 11:28:57 PM »
well i played around with it for awhile there was no power to the ignition at all.battery had full power and so did the red wire going to the alt.
no headlights or anything else would work,wiggled a few things around and finally was able to get the red and green light to come on,but still would not start.then checked the coil and there was no spark.
so at 11:00 in a parking lot i gave up and towed her home,i think it may be the coil but alot of the wires are old and crusty and i had a problem not too long ago with them.if anybody has any other input that would be great before i start into it tomorrow

thanks russ

Offline Chris

• Car.
Car Wont Start
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 12:02:41 AM »
hopefully you did not fry the pertronix, so maybe just try a set of points and a condensor  

Offline kirin

Car Wont Start
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 03:30:24 AM »
Russ,
The day before the great Canadian my bug did the same thing. My bracket shook loose and it shorted out the pertronix. All it took to get running again was points/condensor. As for the idiot lights I still got to fix mine but it is very easy to short out a pertronix that way. Check for a spark when cranking....
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Russ

Car Wont Start
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 07:31:03 AM »
no spark when cranking,would that lean towards the pertronix?

Offline Chris

• Car.
Car Wont Start
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 08:17:00 AM »
quite a possibility

Russ

Car Wont Start
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 12:07:51 PM »
well put some points in and it fired up :rolleyes:

sucks when i fry a 100.00 ignition

thanks for the feedback guys
russ